Any thoughts on aerating systems?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:37 am

Hi all, been thinking about a cheap oxygenation system, like an aquarium pump hooked up to an air stone http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewi ... 1163140899

But I'm not sure what these are made of and then there's the plastic tubing to run it from a pump into a demijohn of 65%.

Is this worth pursuing? I do not like plastic anywhere near my booze but I've read others are aerating and I recall Doc mentioning his whisky was aerated at some point in its aging process.

So anyone doing this to improve their spirit? And how exactly are you doing it?

Love to see some pix of others - or maybe I wouldn't if you're just dangling aquarium plastic in your booze!!!
:-))
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Any thoughts on aerating systems?

Postby JayD » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 am

k.. no photos but heres how I might do it...heres a simple idea for you, crimp the end of...say...1/2 copper tube drill a hole heap of very small holes, then drill the cap, then seal with a silicon gromet then attach your tube to the end (plastic) outside of your jug...but I'm sure you already thought of this?

J... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 am

Those stones I wouldent use you can buy stainless steel air stones from some brew shops
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:47 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Those stones I wouldent use you can buy stainless steel air stones from some brew shops

Yeah the ones I saw at my HBS had plastic on them as well as stainless. Not an issue at 5%-10% but they didn't look ideal.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:48 am

Aeration works....I have proven without doubt in side by side tests... whether you can use the airstone shown depends on where you are aerating...if for pre fermentation for yeast aeration the stone you show is fine...if for the speeding up of product ageing...that stone is unsuitable. Buy a stainless steel airstone from Craftbrewer in Brisbane they have a good online store are reputable and supply excellent equipment. They should also be able to supply you with silicone airhose and if not any aquarium shjop servicing salt water aquariums will definately have silicone hose. I often leave an aeration unit in my whiskey barrels for up to 6 months to help expedite the start of ageing. In this case nothing but stainless and silicone will do. Hope that helps.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:50 am

JayD wrote:k.. no photos but heres how I might do it...heres a simple idea for you, crimp the end of...say...1/2 copper tube drill a hole heap of very small holes, then drill the cap, then seal with a silicon gromet then attach your tube to the end (plastic) outside of your jug...but I'm sure you already thought of this?

I wasn't thinking copper, this is a great idea. My thinking leant towards something suspended in the neck of the demi that could be plastic and well away from the booze then connected to something safe supplying air to the spirit. I had in my head that there might be some kind of glass lab equipment that would do this.

Sounds like some custom copper work coming your way J!
;-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks Doc I was sure you'd mentioned it before. Yes this is for cheat aging, not fermentation. I'll check out craft brewer.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby JayD » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:
JayD wrote:k.. no photos but heres how I might do it...heres a simple idea for you, crimp the end of...say...1/2 copper tube drill a hole heap of very small holes, then drill the cap, then seal with a silicon gromet then attach your tube to the end (plastic) outside of your jug...but I'm sure you already thought of this?

I wasn't thinking copper, this is a great idea. My thinking leant towards something suspended in the neck of the demi that could be plastic and well away from the booze then connected to something safe supplying air to the spirit. I had in my head that there might be some kind of glass lab equipment that would do this.

Sounds like some custom copper work coming your way J!
;-)

k... I only threw this up as a suggestion and if you would like me to make it for theres no dramas... :handgestures-thumbupleft: but I have to bring your attention to Doc's post only use S/S. So as this is Doc's brain child I need to ask is cu suitable for this process?
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 am

Hey Jay, Copper would be just fine... The plastic one shown is fine for pre ferment...I just would not use it at ageing ABV . Which for me is 63%. ...The stainless stones from Craftbrewer are 2 micron and .5 micron, But I don't know that bubble size is an issue... it is more about the turbulance. Take care.
Doc
P>S> sorry if it sounded like I was saying only copper...I am still waking up after a long night... DOH!
the Doctor

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:51 am

I have been trying to work it out how to reuse a spear to make a aerator....
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:11 am

Hey Kiwi I wonder if you drilled or cut with the dremel evry few mm then covered it with the stailess mesh you see on flexible water hose to spread the bubbles a bit...just an off the cuff idea but might work.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 am

Yes I was thinking of stripping the sd mesh off some burstproof hose to break up the bubbles at the end of the spear and then removing the ball and sealing the air input there. It wouldwork for a keg but I would want it to work in a de8ijon also. I
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Goning to get my aeration going soon with 2 micron stainless stones for rums and whiskys

Which version of stones are people using?

airstone-premium.jpg

with silicone tubing or

aeration_wand_1_1.jpg

with stainless wand attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CH3CH2OH on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby 1 2many » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:53 pm

They work great mate but make sure you put an inline air filter or it won't last a week trust me I have been through a few. ;-)

Like these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inline-Sanit ... 43d1f8eda8 but you can buy them in most HBS. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:00 pm

yes I have a few of these to hook up before

filter.jpg

the manifold

manifold.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3CH2OH

Postby 1 2many » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:04 pm

All you need then is an air pump (fish tank) type and you away. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit: sorry I should read fully, I use the top one and have never seen the one with the tube, what length is the tube?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:12 pm

got it already something like this

pump.jpg

just nor sure if I should the stones I already have with silicone tubing or get the wand style. No wand style available locally and not cheap!!
CH3CH2OH

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:16 pm

stainless wand is 26"
CH3CH2OH

Postby 1 2many » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:17 pm

And your asking questions :)) diaphragm pump by the look, may as well go the whole hog and get the wand version.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:23 pm

I guess I just want to make sure silicone wil be a good option in the 65% from people who are using it
CH3CH2OH

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging