Any thoughts on aerating systems?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Any thoughts on aerating systems?

Postby WicketNut » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:26 pm

I didn't want to use silicon, so I soft soldiered the stainless steel stones to copper tube to make a wand. All using the same gear as you?

I have two of them off the same pump.

Works a treat
WicketNut

equipment: Copper T500, FSD 4" pot, 25 ltr boiler
100 ltr pro fsd boiler 4 bubble plates, gin baskets
8" inline thumper, not enough space

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:32 pm

Ive had this stuff for a long time, and got the barbed stones. Have been thiking of the best way to hold it into the carboy. The wand slides right in the hole of the cork stopper just need to drill a small vent hole and it should keep it in the centre of the carboy

almost all of us use silicone seals somewhere in our rigs
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Finally all set up with my aeration system. 45l/min magnetic commercial aquarium pump with a 2 micron sanitary inline filter, 6 valve manifold to a 2 micron stainless airstone.

How gentle of an aeration would those with aeration experience recommend?

continuous aeration?

____ minutes per day on a timer?

should I aerate for the entire time it is on oak?

pics from very gentle to quite aggressive

photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 3 (1).JPG

photo 4 (1).JPG

photo 5.JPG

Thanks for the input
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3CH2OH

Postby WicketNut » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Mine goes reasonably hard, something between your last two pics. The idea is to get the spirit moving around the oak, so I think the more the merrier.

It does speed up evaporation, so keeping it covered is important.

I leave it on 24 hours a day for 6 to 10 days, then seal and leave to age naturally for another X months. Longer the better.

To avoid over oaking, I limit the dominoes to 8g per litre.

I have made minor variations on this theme and still waiting on results, but the stuff I have done as above is coming out great.

Experiment and let us know how it goes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WicketNut

equipment: Copper T500, FSD 4" pot, 25 ltr boiler
100 ltr pro fsd boiler 4 bubble plates, gin baskets
8" inline thumper, not enough space

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:07 pm

for me it is a much bigger picture than just agitating to get the flavor out of the oak.

One thing is I am interested in expediting the removal of the lighter alcohols that the angels would help take care of over time, without losing the the good alcohol in the process. Kind of like if you mix a really young spirit with sprite, how you get that "off" nose as the carbonation pulls some of the lighter alcohols into the glass.

I am assuming that gentle over longer would be preferred to accomplish both the congener/lights dissipation and expediting the oaking
CH3CH2OH

Postby Pugdog1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Following as this is exactly what I'm looking at doing next
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby CH3CH2OH » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:30 am

I've gone with a gentle bubble and have left it on 24/7. About 4 days now

Wrapped the tube in paper towel to act like bung but still let air escape

I'll see how it goes over the next week or so!!
CH3CH2OH

Postby CH3CH2OH » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Well I had a sample tonight.

This rum has already been on oak for about 3 months prior to starting the bubbler. Accidentally added some heads when doing the cuts but figured I'd see what would come of it.

Even that short period of time has surprisingly turned it for the better.

The initial sharpness on the tounge has almost disappeared, better body and much smoother finish. still a little off on the nose but improving quickly

Im deffinitely sold on the benefits of aeration
CH3CH2OH

Postby 1 2many » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Did you do a side by side comparison CH3CH2OH ?

Aerated vs non aerated and how much volume did you lose to evaporation?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 am

Yes, I kept a couple of ounces out to compare. Definitely a change in palate and the evaporation was minimal. It is also in the basement storeroom at about 16'C with a paper towel wrapped fairly tightly around the tube acting like a bung but is still able to let some air out. It must act a bit like a filter cause the paper towel definitely smells.

Unfortunately, this batch of rum is going to get rerun :sad:

Right from the start, due to taste and smell of what I put on oak, I had suspicion I accidentally added a jar of early heads when combining my cuts. After about 5 drinks last night, my headache this morning confirms my suspicions.

I have a sensitivity to many commercial alcohols, especially those with a high heads content. I have always drank higher end spirits for this reason, not always to good success but usually!!!

Wine and beer is really hit and miss as everything from the ferment is still in there. I have my couple of brands that I stick with for this reason.Thats part of the reason why I am so brutal on my cuts and why I am a fan of carbon filtering my neutrals. Also is is almost a necessity for me to make my own spirits, I can control the cuts and what is in my spirit. Thus, I can enjoy a few drinks and am not hurting my brain with the "poison" that is in many commercial spirits!!! I judge my level of poisoning by the headache I get from what I have consumed!!!
CH3CH2OH

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:04 am

CH3CH2OH wrote:Yes, I kept a couple of ounces out to compare. Definitely a change in palate and the evaporation was minimal. It is also in the basement storeroom at about 16'C with a paper towel wrapped fairly tightly around the tube acting like a bung but is still able to let some air out. It must act a bit like a filter cause the paper towel definitely smells.

Unfortunately, this batch of rum is going to get rerun :sad:

Right from the start, due to taste and smell of what I put on oak, I had suspicion I accidentally added a jar of early heads when combining my cuts. After about 5 drinks last night, my headache this morning confirms my suspicions.

I have a sensitivity to many commercial alcohols, especially those with a high heads content. I have always drank higher end spirits for this reason, not always to good success but usually!!!

Wine and beer is really hit and miss as everything from the ferment is still in there. I have my couple of brands that I stick with for this reason.Thats part of the reason why I am so brutal on my cuts and why I am a fan of carbon filtering my neutrals. Also is is almost a necessity for me to make my own spirits, I can control the cuts and what is in my spirit. Thus, I can enjoy a few drinks and am not hurting my brain with the "poison" that is in many commercial spirits!!! I judge my level of poisoning by the headache I get from what I have consumed!!!

Amen to that
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:26 pm

That heads component is probably why i noticed a change in only a few days.
CH3CH2OH

Postby peter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Even basic distilling literature says ‘aerating’ is simply ‘oxygenating”. The very easiest way is what those in the painting trade call ‘boxing’ or pouring the mix from one container to another and back again, at least half a dozen times. If you have a honey gate or large dia. tap to the bottom of your container just box by opening the gate into another container is ideal. You can just box 10L this way and tip it back in again, repeating. When the mash mix is well aerated tip in the yeast and box twice more to thoroughly mix all.
If you were a boutique winery you would have a 'Must' and depending on the weather you must keep the Must warm, so in winter wrap in a woollen blanket, eider down, sleeping bag or insulation. The lid should be on but not quite sealed on one side to allow gases to escape. This should vigorously ferment as the yeast eats the sugars. Set up the Must drum where it does not need to be disturbed when you remove the must water in around 5 days time for distilling.
peter

equipment: Home made still with milk can on gas cooker, copper top pot with thermometer to 2" stork to s/s can thumper, all silver solder copper tube, 3/4" to thumper - 1/2 to 3/8: cooler coil.

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 pm

peter wrote:Even basic distilling literature says ‘aerating’ is simply ‘oxygenating”. The very easiest way is what those in the painting trade call ‘boxing’ or pouring the mix from one container to another and back again, at least half a dozen times. If you have a honey gate or large dia. tap to the bottom of your container just box by opening the gate into another container is ideal. You can just box 10L this way and tip it back in again, repeating. When the mash mix is well aerated tip in the yeast and box twice more to thoroughly mix all.
If you were a boutique winery you would have a 'Must' and depending on the weather you must keep the Must warm, so in winter wrap in a woollen blanket, eider down, sleeping bag or insulation. The lid should be on but not quite sealed on one side to allow gases to escape. This should vigorously ferment as the yeast eats the sugars. Set up the Must drum where it does not need to be disturbed when you remove the must water in around 5 days time for distilling.

You realize this thread is talking about aerating spirit after distilling?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:18 pm

While aeration will cause oxydation where chemically possible. It is the stirring and constant movement past the oak which is what I am interested in. I did some tests on whiskey white dog with oak containing wine tartrates (shiraz) the aerated whiskey was fully coloured within 4 months the un aerated took a year... It was evident that the constant movement was helping with the extraction.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:15 pm

the Doctor wrote:the aerated whiskey was fully coloured within 4 months the un aerated took a year... It was evident that the constant movement was helping with the extraction.
Doc

Did the aerated 4 month batch taste as good as the year aged batch doc?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 pm

I have been trying to source glass covered stir rods for my magnetic stir plate ,I can get a 5lt demi full of water moveing well with the teflon coated one's but would like glass for the high ABV oak test.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:15 pm

WTDist wrote:
the Doctor wrote:the aerated whiskey was fully coloured within 4 months the un aerated took a year... It was evident that the constant movement was helping with the extraction.
Doc

Did the aerated 4 month batch taste as good as the year aged batch doc?

They were both smooth ...but the year old was better, however that was probably because it was ageing longer...we bottled off the 4 month to hold it for comparative tastings...we were comparing to using ultrasound.... In the end the best results came from a mix of aeration followed by traditional barrel ageing then a quick freshen up under bubbler before bottle...we rejected ultrasound as too aggressive.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Boardy62 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:36 pm

image.jpeg

I have just started a test with aeration, I tried the stainless airstone .05 micron and found the bubbles too heavy. I am yet to waste some more money and try the .02 micron I assume they would be better as an alternative but I got a limewood airstone as I thought it would lend itself to the task filed the hole out to fit 1/4" copper allowing me to insert it straight to the wood useing pink plumbers tape to seal.
The photo attached shows the airstone attached and working well I decided on hanging oak in muslin bags near the top,so the bubbles would circulate around oak better than on the floor of jar ( my way of thinking anyway) it started well and after an hour coloured up already look forward to taste test I have one with no aeration to see the difference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:07 pm

WicketNut wrote:Mine goes reasonably hard, something between your last two pics. The idea is to get the spirit moving around the oak, so I think the more the merrier.

It does speed up evaporation, so keeping it covered is important.

I leave it on 24 hours a day for 6 to 10 days, then seal and leave to age naturally for another X months. Longer the better.

To avoid over oaking, I limit the dominoes to 8g per litre.

I have made minor variations on this theme and still waiting on results, but the stuff I have done as above is coming out great.

Experiment and let us know how it goes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gotta ask what do you think is a better end result a lot of oak for short period or small amount for long period? :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to Oaking and Aging