oak in brisbane??

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

oak in brisbane??

Postby Smbjk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:49 am

Hey guys. Anyone know where I can get some oak in brisbane. Was thinking maybe some off cuts just a little hard to find! :think:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Re: oak in brisbane??

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:21 am

I reckon roll out the barrel would be able to help. They are a cooperage in redcliff. http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au/contactus.html
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Smbjk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks dominator :handgestures-thumbupleft: you recon I can get oak from lets say bunnings then cut into sticks then toast :think:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Jonno » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am

Where abouts are you mate? I've got a heap of spent sticks I'm to lazy to rechar if your interested
Jonno

Postby Smbjk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:19 am

Jonno wrote:Where abouts are you mate? I've got a heap of spent sticks I'm to lazy to rechar if your interested

Hi jonno. I live in forest lake. Thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:36 am

Smbjk wrote:Thanks dominator :handgestures-thumbupleft: you recon I can get oak from lets say bunnings then cut into sticks then toast :think:

I highly doubt they will have the right type of oak. I had considered doing the same thing but the wrong type of wood will ruin all your hard work. Your local HBS will have toasted oak chips for $20-30. That was how I started until a group buy came up on the forum.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Smbjk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 am

Hey guys. Just picked up some american oak from a bloke in foestdale brisbane. He said anyone else want some just give him a call. All this for inly 2 btls :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :D
His website is http://www.bargainbarrel.com.au his contact details are on there.

Also what would the best way and sizes to prep these beauties
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MacStill on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This forum does not condone the sale, swap or trade of illegal alcohol for any reason
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Good stuff mate. I would plane all the crap off them so you have a nice clean surface on all sides. Then cut the staves into 100mm length then split them down the grain with an axe, so that they are square. Toast ans char to your preference.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

oak in brisbane??

Postby Stevem109r » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Yes, the ones I did, I ran the elec plane over them. Then cut to lengths. I placed a machete blade up in a vice then split the boards with a mallet as per the picImage

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon :)
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby db1979 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Dominator wrote:
Smbjk wrote:Thanks dominator :handgestures-thumbupleft: you recon I can get oak from lets say bunnings then cut into sticks then toast :think:

I highly doubt they will have the right type of oak. I had considered doing the same thing but the wrong type of wood will ruin all your hard work. Your local HBS will have toasted oak chips for $20-30. That was how I started until a group buy came up on the forum.

The tassie oak that bunnings carry is an Australian eucalypt and would be poisonous if used to age ethanol. So yeah, steer clear of it! :handgestures-thumbdown:

Unless there is some other "oak" at bunnings.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Dominator wrote:Good stuff mate. I would plane all the crap off them so you have a nice clean surface on all sides. Then cut the staves into 100mm length then split them down the grain with an axe, so that they are square. Toast ans char to your preference.

You can leave the wine stain on if wish. Some do, it's a personal taste thing ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Smbjk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Dominator wrote:Good stuff mate. I would plane all the crap off them so you have a nice clean surface on all sides. Then cut the staves into 100mm length then split them down the grain with an axe, so that they are square. Toast ans char to your preference.

You can leave the wine stain on if wish. Some do, it's a personal taste thing ;-)

Awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: will the wine stain make much of an effect on taste?
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Smbjk wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:

Awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: will the wine stain make much of an effect on taste?

It wont make your spirit taste like wine if that's what your asking. It will add another dimension to your product though, if it is something you like/want is personal preference.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Dominator wrote:
Smbjk wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:

It wont make your spirit taste like wine if that's what your asking. It will add another dimension to your product though, if it is something you like/want is personal preference.

I've found it very desirable for aging rum, gives a nice fruity overtone :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:28 am

moxon timbers have american and french oak, its usually back sawn but you can get quarter sawn if you request it. i used to get it from there when i lived down south east qld years ago. i dont remember the price of it but by memory it was pretty cheap.
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby Smbjk » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:58 am

MacStill wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Smbjk wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:

I've found it very desirable for aging rum, gives a nice fruity overtone :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not the biggest rum fan :puke-huge: but I am about to run 50 lt macwhisky :D just a question mac how far do you fill ur boiler never done a full charge before and what do you do to stop the column from :puke-huge:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 am

General rule is don't fill your boiler over 80%. If your worried about puking, put a table spoon of cooking oil or butter in there.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Smbjk » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 am

Dominator wrote:General rule is don't fill your boiler over 80%. If your worried about puking, put a table spoon of cooking oil or butter in there.

Thanks dominator :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Dyno » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:04 am

Dominator wrote:I reckon roll out the barrel would be able to help. They are a cooperage in redcliff. http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au/contactus.html

Just picked up a 5kg box ( feels heavier) of A.Oak cuttoffs for $20....seems reasonably priced, mind you, I have no comparison other than HBS's...
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Return to Oaking and Aging