Aeration

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Aeration

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:26 pm

all good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , thats what this site is all about. like i said there are soooooo many ways to do this, doc might have a completely different way again, and then the same for the next fella and so on, its all about finding YOUR style and playing with ideas and developing something that suits your needs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby greenguy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Are u guys doing it at 60% ish or 40%
Man this site is a wealth of knowledge
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:51 pm

I do 40%, ABV losses are pretty much zero, possible toxins and flavour contamination are significantly reduced at 40%.
r.c.barstud

Postby the Doctor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 pm

I do my aeration and ageing at 63%, I find it a sweet spot for oak ageing and generally makes of a cask strength whisky as an otion so we can offer two alternatives...some of our regulars are quite willing to pay extra for cask strength. Personally I find whiskey a bit full on at cask strength. But it sure colours up and softens nicely at this ABV.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Yeh doing mine at a 65% abv. I've generally found this to be best balance for flavour vanilians/tannins.

Given it's higher abv and I reckon perhaps 10 days in total should be bout right I'm not using the pump, just aeration via a copper 1/4" inserted tube but it moves 17lt around no probs.

Thanks Doc & RC again for sharing...lot's to play with here.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby 1 2many » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Great info guys i will be trying this out for sure , just a thought what about those magnetic stirers for fluid agitation would rare earth magnets coating be an issue, :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby the Doctor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:42 am

1 2many wrote:Great info guys i will be trying this out for sure , just a thought what about those magnetic stirers for fluid agitation would rare earth magnets coating be an issue, :-B

I am a fan of rare earth magnets. I use then a lot around the distillery. I have the magnets sown into velcro tabs for cable control etc and to seal up insulation blankets...my supplier is here http://aussiemagnets.com.au/magnets/Rar ... dymium%29/ I am not sure what problems if any there would be with Neodymium, The guys who sell thgem are very helpful and may be able to tell you if they will leach in alcohol. I have laboratory stirrers , but really only use them on the lab bench for small test blends, so exposure to ethanol is very limited. They are silicone coated.. If you are using Neobdium magnets keep them well away from children. If swallowed by the child they are ver dangerous as if the child places another magnet near the outside of the stomach they can tear through soft tissue and have in some cases caused extreme internal trauma and even death. Aeration if applied with common sense is a lot cheaper way of achieving a good circulation pattern and is very safe. But hey I always say try everything...you never know where the next breakthrough comes from, that is what I love about this business.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby bt1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:55 am

Hello all,

Tasted this rye again last night...still impressed. It's been aerated for 6 days @ 65% abv @ 50lt per hour pump speed.

RC impressed with the numbers calc gives us a benchmark to use amongst ourselves ...will be helpful go forward for all ppl.

Wondering if you would accept these numbers for a 65%abv cos I reckon it's about right.. but it's subjective of course...two tasters, tasted straight, with ice, mixed.

days x (days x2) so 6x 12= 72 ageing days equivalent or should we term them RCdays :D

bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 am

Hello all,

This rye was tasted last night and it continues to improve faster than it would if just left to stand. Not seeing any notable drop in abv which is a bonus.

The fusels/heady smells and tastes have really disappeared mostly for a rye that's outstanding.

reckon the numbers quoted in previous post could be over optimistic and would re assess as

@65% abv, days x (days x1.25) so 10x 12.5= 125 ageing days or 4 months would be about right....anyway just a subjective indicator of where it is really.

bt1
bt1

Postby millert85 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:33 am

Now I'm a complete noob and not ready to start experimenting yet (Soon....) but having flunked out of a chemistry degree i love the tech stuff.
someone mentioned ultrasonics and being very expensive... would something like this work?
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5498
millert85

equipment: 2nd hand reflux (no idea what it is)

Postby the Doctor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am

millert85 wrote:Now I'm a complete noob and not ready to start experimenting yet (Soon....) but having flunked out of a chemistry degree i love the tech stuff.
someone mentioned ultrasonics and being very expensive... would something like this work?
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5498

Yes mate that should work. Ultrasonic transducers can be mounted in a tank, but do consider an aeration set up, They are cheap as chips, and very effective, if a bit slower. I have found that aeration before casking and then again for a while before bottling produces well integrated flavours and seems to give a brighter nose to the whiskeys. Compared to straight out of the cask. which has a bit of a wet cardboard smell to it. I have done side by side tests and the aerated product wins hands down in aroma and I think is better integrated and smoother.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby greenguy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 am

im of to get a pump and some 1/4 copper pipe 1 domino per litre got 4 litres ujssm
i gota give this a try im thinking i will charr two domino's and leave two just toasted aerate for ten day then leave for ten days then a quick 24 hours of air again so many experiments so little booze
greenguy

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 am

i got a 65% all grain sour mash ready to roll in a 5 lt demi. im going to try the system out at 65% and see how my calculus goes at a higher ABV, i think your correct BT, the higher ABV and figures will differ from that of 40% ABV, but im about to try it and find out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

Postby greenguy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 pm

cant find any 6mm copper pipe might have to go with stainless what ya think
greenguy

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Stainless is fine I just used a old keg spear
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby 1 2many » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Seems as if CraftBrewer is out of stock already :)) :))
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3857
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:20 pm

1 2many wrote:Seems as if CraftBrewer is out of stock already :)) :))

They are twice the price of ESB Brewing. But ESB brewing are pretty slow to deliver. Your call but you could buy 2 from ESB for the same price...
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby 1 2many » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
1 2many wrote:Seems as if CraftBrewer is out of stock already :)) :))

They are twice the price of ESB Brewing. But ESB brewing are pretty slow to deliver. Your call but you could buy 2 from ESB for the same price...

Thats a good price but i thought the screw on type was a good idea , I am still suss on silicon and leaching but i am sure if Doc does it should be fine but someone did a test here a while back and had side by side glass pics with a very yukky look so i wanted the screw on type so i could use a bit of ss tube for immersion . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Sam did that test on some seals and yeah not good at all.

I soaked my food grade 5mm silicon in some 90% heads for 2 days and there's no sign of leaching.

As I'm aging at 65% and the silicon tube will never actually contact the liquid as its suspended with the airstone sitting just under the spirit I'm thinking its all good:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby bt1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 am

Hello all,

Be very keen RC to hear your thoughts as the one of the ppl who first raised the idea... credit due here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For all trying this method theres a group advantage if we could develop this ageing days calc and agree what we feel is right .. be a huge advantage to all ppl trying as we have a basis for comparison to use when we're talking about ageing.

Given time, we could table up a guide to add to terms page like:
@65 abv days x (days x1.25) = ageing days
@60 abv days x (days x1.x) = ageing days
@55 abv days x (days x1.x) = ageing days
@40 abv days x days = ageing days
If we're real good we could work out variations for rums, vodkas perhaps.

Kiwi good point...keg spear.. most of us have them hanging around

bt1
bt1

PreviousNext

Return to Oaking and Aging