Aeration

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 pm

the Doctor wrote:BB I regularly soak mine in Sodium Percarbonate. another trick is to put a few drops of Azeotrope into the line then turn on the pump to force the AZ through the pores. If you are using the .5 micron ones they are a bit fine for what we are doing, I tend to go with the 2 micron ones by preference. The finer ones I only use for nitrogen charging, porters and stouts. Cheers.
Doc

Thanks doc, yeah I have the 2 micron ones too. I have some 93% neutral here. Might have to try that instead of azeo.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Aeration

Postby greenguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Anyone had any problems with blocked air stones? Tried out two I got from ESB brewing and both are fucked. Can't move air let alone a spirit.

These are both brand new and the pump is fine, but when I put these on the tubing not so much as a bubble:-(

I've scrubbed 'em, vinegar soaked 'em, dried 'em out and tried blowing through 'em but both are cactus by the look of it.

Pretty disappointed. Anyone got a brand they recommend? These are going back to ESB I reckon.

Funny u say that i went and got a 2 micron one today from the HBS went and got a lil pump i mean real lil but says it does 2litre a min

plug it up fuck all bubble hmmmmm check the the pump working thought the stone must be dirty got the air gun out and gave it a blast nope stone is sweet as

played with the pump some more and think it just hasn't got the guts to push air threw it so guess i need to get a bigger pump
all the guys using the stainless stones what size pump ya using??
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Hmmm. I got a dual head 45L per hour pump. I saw a more expensive one at the pet store but wasn't sure it was much more powerful. I'd like to know the pump power others are using too!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:23 pm

One of the biggest Greenguy it has a 8 outlet manifold doing 4 tanks 3x 300 litre 1 x 600 litre... It was not that expensive, I have had it for a few years, I think it was about $140 when new. It is one of the ones that the aquarium guys use for the long air curtains...it sure moves some air though.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby greenguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Wow i need a bigger pump for sure this lil sucker i got i can stop the air flow with a bit of dust :crying-blue:
think ill go back in and look at a beefy one
greenguy

Postby greenguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Just found a 10 way 30w 40litre per min for $50 muwhahhaha that should bubble a wee bit of booze have taken the stainless air stone off and am just running the silicone hose into some 7mm stainless tube about 280mm long into 4litres of UJJSM big bubble prob not ideal but until i can figure out this stone it will have to do :handgestures-thumbupleft:
greenguy

Postby bt1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 am

hello,

Had thought smaller volume of air would be ok. Just using a 50lt per hour split 2 ways. it's working well.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby greenguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 am

iv given up on my air stone i dont think it is 2 micron to be honest i can only get air threw it via a compressor and air gun :crying-blue: so have bent some stainless tube to a L shape that im gona drill a few holes into and will give that a try
greenguy

Postby bt1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 am

hello all,

Be interested to hear if anyone who's trying this aeration method has some early comments or results?

bt1
bt1

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:00 am

bt1 wrote:hello all,

Be interested to hear if anyone who's trying this aeration method has some early comments or results?

bt1

I've got two new stones now running well in a 15L Demi and a 20L

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377903416.146278.jpg

Have been running it non stop since Wednesday and the fig brandy (left of photo) smells knock out. All kinds of warm fruity oaky smells in the shed.

I suspect the angels are getting stuck in but I'll be taking a sample tonight.

I have the airstone just under the liquid to try and keep the silicon away until I come up with a metal solution but its moving a lot of liquid. The pump is better than I thought it would be for generating a LOT of air movement.

Will see what the taste is like on the younger corn whiskey/apple pear raisin split (Mountain Moonshiners recipe) which is the Demi on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby greenguy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am

lucky you guys are getting ya stones to work i am using a 6mm bit of stainless tube
so just big bubbles but im on day 5 today and think i may have to have a sample soon
will report back with some pics
greenguy

Postby Canadoz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:20 am

I really think you guys oughta give limewood airstones a try.
They're exactly what they say, a lump of wood from a lime tree, which has nice little pores that let air through. you can get them at aquarium stores from $2 and up.

They usually come with the little plastic fitting loose in the package, as it just friction fits into the hole that's been drilled into the timber.

That means it would be a simple matter of chucking that bit of plastic in the bin, re-drilling the hole if necessary to accommodate whatever size of copper/steel tubing you are using, and jamming it in there. Et voila.

One advantage aside from the low cost and customizability is that the pore size on a limewood "stone" is not so small, and won't require nearly as much air pressure to get bubbling. Unlike the stainless ones which seem to be designed to be used for gassing beer in kegs, not aerating spirits.

Give it a go guys, you won't be disappointed.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:58 am

Canadoz wrote:I really think you guys oughta give limewood airstones a try.
They're exactly what they say, a lump of wood from a lime tree, which has nice little pores that let air through. you can get them at aquarium stores from $2 and up.

They usually come with the little plastic fitting loose in the package, as it just friction fits into the hole that's been drilled into the timber.

That means it would be a simple matter of chucking that bit of plastic in the bin, re-drilling the hole if necessary to accommodate whatever size of copper/steel tubing you are using, and jamming it in there. Et voila.

One advantage aside from the low cost and customizability is that the pore size on a limewood "stone" is not so small, and won't require nearly as much air pressure to get bubbling. Unlike the stainless ones which seem to be designed to be used for gassing beer in kegs, not aerating spirits.

Give it a go guys, you won't be disappointed.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Would definitely want to make sure that lime wood isnt going to impart any nasties into your hard earnt :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im sure one of the wood nuts will be able to give a yay or nay :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Would definitely want to make sure that lime wood isnt going to impart any nasties into your hard earnt :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im sure one of the wood nuts will be able to give a yay or nay :think:

:text-+1: I was thinking exactly the same thing.

You could use a piece of oak. Drill a 6mm hole and squeeze a piece of 1/4 copper in there, and drill a heap of 1mm holes. Would work well and no plastic etc.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Canadoz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:35 pm

They are widely used in Aquarium environments, both saltwater and fresh by (speaking from personal experience) some of the most cautious and particular hobbyists in the world.
These guys have thousands of dollars worth of live fish in their tanks and are incredibly pedantic about protecting the water chemistry of their aquariums.
If there was anything even remotely toxic or undesirable in limewood it simply wouldn't be a successful aquarium product.

I cannot provide a chemical analysis of the composition of limewood, but I am lead to understand that the wood of any tree which bears edible fruit is safe. (read: contains no toxic compounds)
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:13 pm

It might be safe but it might be adding profile to the flavour. I'm going to stick with SS.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Lime wood is linden from Genus Tilia not the citrus tree, possibly astringent flavours not sure on toxicity? But its definatly not from the citrus tree.
I think 1mm holes in a oak domino could be the go....
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby bt1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:38 am

Howdy,

one thing I can now see is with just a slight improvement in weather and temperature in Adelaide past week the angels are getting a fair go for sure. Hope they bloody enjoy it as much as I did tasting it last night. I'm not sure about using this method during a stinking hot 45c week of temps.... common sense really :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Geez to think you could have a stubborn arsed slow malted rye nearly drinkable in a month compared to the norm 6-8 months...bonus! reckon another month on air will be a cracker of a drop.

bt1
bt1

Postby greenguy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 am

i think temp is a key factor here as well
its still cold in NZ atm last few night we have had 5's but think this is a great method i just have to figure out these stones :angry-banghead: might go get me one more today and c how we go
greenguy

Postby greenguy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 am

Day 6 today smell is wicked strong vanilla,slightly oaky colour is looking good
i used 6 medium toast plus dominoes around 3-4cm x 2 cm x 7mm for 5 days yesterday i had a taste and decided too pull the dominoes out and charr them up it has all ready changed flavour wise over night nice brown sugar flavour
so going well at the moment will stop it this week sometime and reduce the amount of oak 3 dominoes for longer term
pump is 2litre's min with 6mm stainless tube
it looks a lot darker than it really is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenguy

PreviousNext

Return to Oaking and Aging