Bourbon Chips vs New Oak

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Bourbon Chips vs New Oak

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I have only ever used new oak or used wine barrel staves. Just out of curiosity...do these jack Daniels or Jim Beam wood chips made from used barrels give you any different/more flavour in Neutral than new oak? or are they more of a gimmick and just a way for companies to make money from old barrels?
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Re: Bourbon Chips vs New Oak

Postby Dominator » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Different oak will give you different flavours. From the type to how it was toasted/charred will effect your end result. If you were chasing a specific flavour, ie. JD or JB then these oak chips could help you get there but I wouldn't be going out of my way to get them for a neutral.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby znipa-x » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:49 pm

hijack... what about those branded chips + a flavour...
znipa-x

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm

It's more of a curiosity thing I really don't have any intention of oaking neautral as i am very happy with the UJSM and Rum I make. I have just always wondered what the diff would be if you used the same oak profile with the same char or toast and 1 batch was from used JB or JD barrels and 1 batch was just plain fresh oak all with the same variables whether there would be a noticeable difference.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby greenguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Lowndsey wrote:It's more of a curiosity thing I really don't have any intention of oaking neautral as i am very happy with the UJSM and Rum I make. I have just always wondered what the diff would be if you used the same oak profile with the same char or toast and 1 batch was from used JB or JD barrels and 1 batch was just plain fresh oak all with the same variables whether there would be a noticeable difference.

Deff would be mate i put my oaked ujssm up against the same ujssm one done with JB chips and one done with domino's
massive difference in taste so many variables to consider ware the oak is from what kind of char and toast etc i pref new oak some toasted some charred
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:14 pm

For an authentic bourbon taste from a UJ wash I'll use fresh medium/heavy toasted oak every time over anything else :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Oaking and Aging