An idea....a dream

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

An idea....a dream

Postby Frothwizard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Okay, I was doing some reading regarding this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2 ... -one-week/

Which put simply for those that don't want to read it, is aging a whisky by putting it in a small barrel for 6 months. Then chopping up that barrel and putting it in with the whisky in a big pressure vat and changing the pressure constantly over a week to age it considerably more. It doesn't state to how long as that would be subjective, however I'd guess the more you can force the whisky through the wood pores, the sooner it tastes like it's aged longer.

Well without all the fancy equipment I'm sure this guy has access to...does anything think that it'd be a possibility to do this in a pressure cooker? Shove some chips in with a litre or two of your whisky....cook it up....let it cool....cook it up...etc

Do that randomly for a week or more and see what it comes out like when it's all cooled down and recombined.

Anyone see anything wrong with this method?

I'm new to all this, but definitely not a purist and love ideas like this.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Re: An idea....a dream

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Sure, its been talked about plenty of the forums, at its most basic, put booze in strong jar ie agee, mason or whatever you guys call a preserving jar add oak, put in freezer, next day put on bench, freezer,bench, repeat ti satisfied,

But honestly the aeration meothod championed by doc works better.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Frothwizard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Surely the pressure cooker would create greater pressure than the freezing method?...and thereby a greater penetration of the oak etc...
Frothwizard

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Frothwizard wrote:Surely the pressure cooker would create greater pressure than the freezing method?...and thereby a greater penetration of the oak etc...

Alcohol, heat and pressure, you think the combination of them is ok ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:29 pm

MacStill wrote:
Frothwizard wrote:Surely the pressure cooker would create greater pressure than the freezing method?...and thereby a greater penetration of the oak etc...

only if you use the pressure cooker inside a gas stove :wtf: and there you have it. how to explode your kitchen.

I know that people have used corks and air pumps to create pressure in bottles. time and patience is the easiest set up for the hobbyist
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Frothwizard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 pm

MacStill wrote:

Awww c'mon Mac. You take all the fun out of it!!!
Frothwizard

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Frothwizard wrote:
MacStill wrote:

We have always taken safety seriously here, it's not about to change ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frothwizard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:48 pm

MacStill wrote:
Frothwizard wrote:
MacStill wrote:

We have always taken safety seriously here, it's not about to change ;-)

Rightly so...
Frothwizard

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:31 pm

The idea of a pressure cooker is to increase the boiling point of the water inside it which means that the food gets hotter and cooks faster. If you put some of your aging stock in there and heated it you may end up with adverse degradation reactions happening to any number of the complex flavour molecules in your spirit. If you want to play around with pressure, don't mess with heat at the same time. But then you can always go ahead and prove me wrong but my money is on foul tasting product.

I would try some other way of increasing pressure rather than heat, you could try pressurising a pressure cooker with CO2 from a CO2 cylinder, a pump, or putting some dry ice inside the pressure cooker along with your spirit. Just make sure the pressure relief valve is working first! The last option is the only one that wouldn't require modifications to your pressure cooker.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Or go the other way put it in a suitable container and pull a vacuum
a simple refrigerations mechanic s one will pull - 25 easy
Pull a vacuum then release it a few times just a thought
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:38 pm

A vacuum will vaporise the spirit but won't force it into the oak any faster.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Muppet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:46 pm

db1979 wrote:The idea of a pressure cooker is to increase the boiling point of the water inside it which means that the food gets hotter and cooks faster. If you put some of your aging stock in there and heated it you may end up with adverse degradation reactions happening to any number of the complex flavour molecules in your spirit. If you want to play around with pressure, don't mess with heat at the same time. But then you can always go ahead and prove me wrong but my money is on foul tasting product.

I would try some other way of increasing pressure rather than heat, you could try pressurising a pressure cooker with CO2 from a CO2 cylinder, a pump, or putting some dry ice inside the pressure cooker along with your spirit. Just make sure the pressure relief valve is working first! The last option is the only one that wouldn't require modifications to your pressure cooker.

Pressurizing gasses is not a game I'd play with, there's a reason gas pressure vessel are very over engineered. The amount of stored energy in a compressed gas is huge, the amount of compression and therefore decompression (stored energy) warrants specific specialized equipment and a trained, experienced operator. Adding a flammable solvent to the mix is a bad idea.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Pressure cookers are usually designed to hold 1 atm above atmospheric pressure. Or 15 psi. So yeah won't need to be serious pressure if you want to use a pressure cooker. But if the pressure needs to be higher for this technique to work then a pressure cooker won't do.

Also, not sure if a pressure cooker will handle a vacuum, they are designed to keep pressure in not out. I've just had a quick read of a few sites that detail converting a pressure cooker into a vacuum chamber and so far they all mention getting rid of the lid, changing the seal and using a flat, strong and hard board as a lid.

Muppet, I agree that this isn't something to be done without concern for safety but I don't see how the spirit that is being aged is supposed to ignite if there is no increase in temperature. Further if the dry ice idea works then it'll involve an unmodified pressure cooker that will release pressure if it gets over 15 psi and at a temperature lower than room temp. Also, ethanol is made industrially by reacting water vapour and ethene gas at 300 C and between 60 and 70 atm (15 psi rating of the pressure cooker is equivalent to 2 atm of pressure or 1 atm above atmospheric pressure). If ethanol is a product of this reaction at those conditions then it is stable at those conditions and there is no way a pressure cooker that isn't being heated is going to cause ethanol to spontaneously ignite. Once again, if CO2 (from dry ice for example) is used then the amount of oxygen in the pressure cooker will be reduced (especially if the lid is left off for a little while to allow the generated CO2 to displace the air). Ethanols Autoignition temperature in air is reported between 363 C to 392 C. Ethanol won't burn in CO2.
db1979

Postby Muppet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:00 pm

db1979 wrote:
Muppet, I agree that this isn't something to be done without concern for safety but I don't see how the spirit that is being aged is supposed to ignite if there is no increase in temperature. Further if the dry ice idea works then it'll involve an unmodified pressure cooker that will release pressure if it gets over 15 psi and at a temperature lower than room temp. Also, ethanol is made industrially by reacting water vapour and ethene gas at 300 C and between 60 and 70 atm (15 psi rating of the pressure cooker is equivalent to 2 atm of pressure or 1 atm above atmospheric pressure). If ethanol is a product of this reaction at those conditions then it is stable at those conditions and there is no way a pressure cooker that isn't being heated is going to cause ethanol to spontaneously ignite. Once again, if CO2 (from dry ice for example) is used then the amount of oxygen in the pressure cooker will be reduced (especially if the lid is left off for a little while to allow the generated CO2 to displace the air). Ethanols Autoignition temperature in air is reported between 363 C to 392 C. Ethanol won't burn in CO2.

The problem arises if the vessel decompresses to atmosphere in an uncontrolled environment. Even pressurized with co2 it will mix with oxygen after decompression. In the average house without e10 rated intrinsicly safe electrics. There is a risk of unidentified ignition sources. Small chance I know but the risk is there.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby drunkmore » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:27 am

Sorry I think there is safety and there is paranoid please how many times do you cross the road E10 intrinsically safe wired house? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Chances are extremely slim

Mac good point about heat pressurised flammable liquid
Db Cool idea But costly don't you think
LX great bit of research on cheap parts

Gauge to get safe level of pressure and repeatable results
Bicycle pump reduces the chance of over doing the pressure.

My suggestion is Stainless steel pressure cooker and swap out the rubber ring for Teflon.

This could work

Or you could just put oak staves in a demijohn and leave it in a cupboard for a few months .
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby Konzo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 am

Stick with aeration. It is simple and it works! I have seen and taste it first hand.
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby db1979 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:10 pm

drunkmore wrote:Db Cool idea But costly don't you think

Didn't think much about cost...just the chemistry nerd in me taking an idea and running with it :smile: :-B

drunkmore wrote:Or you could just put oak staves in a demijohn and leave it in a cupboard for a few months .

Agreed! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

Postby db1979 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:11 pm

catcher wrote:Stick with aeration. It is simple and it works! I have seen and taste it first hand.

I'm yet to try this, but it's high on the agenda!
db1979

Postby Moonshine Millar » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Aerations works.....check this out :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5213
Moonshine Millar

equipment: Beer Me 30L Reflux Still

Postby bt1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:22 am

howdy,

Stick with aeration. It is simple and it works! I have seen and taste it first hand.

+1 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
and safe, easy, cheap, min effort

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Oaking and Aging