Jack Daniel chips

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Jack Daniel chips

Postby soapybath » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:10 pm

G'Day All

I've been using oak shavings from "Rollout the barrel" to make a Jim Beam knockoff. I've used the Still Spirits JD chips to make a JD knockoff and am trying to ascertain whether the JD chips are simply a charred / toasted version of the oak from rollout the barrel. If anyone has any information or charring procedures they'd like to share, it would be most appreciated. :think:
soapybath

equipment: 1st generation reflux still

Re: Jack Daniel chips

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Mate, charring is really easy, I use a mapp gas torch, b you cn just hold them over the bbq if you want :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby greenguy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 am

iv got a old stainless grill plate thing that i sit the chips/ dominoes and crank my 3 burner
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby soapybath » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:21 am

Cheers for the input fellas. I've currently got shitloads of oak shavings. I'll have to order chips next round and try to char. I'm guessing the oak is the same (American white oak)...time will tell :text-thankyoublue: :think:
soapybath

equipment: 1st generation reflux still

Postby unsub » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:21 pm

I was under the impression that the JD/Tennessee chips came from chipped bourbon distillery barrels? Not just charred American Oak.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Popcorn Jack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 pm

They are used barrels..JAck only uses the barrels once the sells them off.. Found a site with the process they go through to char the barrel and age.. I'll see if I can find it and post..

I use these chips with ts rye wiskey essence.. Makes a nice light drop..
PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby Dyno » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm pretty new to the brewing game but have been using chips from a place in Beenleigh qld called Mikes Home Brew shop...he claims they are old JD barrels an man....they are the ducks nuts...they are a no name brand..250gms for 3 -4 weeks in a 5l demijon at 45 %...feckin awesome. ..lots of vanilla...and a really good sharp hit ...tried a heap of essences but all of them were shit..taste like cherry cola...ugh...guess there's more technical ways of makin bourbon but this is cheap an dam good...cheers all... :-D
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Dyno wrote:250gms for 3 -4 weeks in a 5l demijon at 45 %...

that's a lot of timber
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Dyno » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:34 pm

It is a lot..yr right...buts it seems to work out well...I've done few with a quarter that an half that an it taste ok...plenty of colour but not that sharp taste that seems hard to get...put down 20 L today an its pretty colored up already...wh8ch I guess is expected with the amount of wood...I tried numerous other commercial chips but although lots of colour not much taste...these are around $12 for 250gm bags...and its half dust too which is good...as I said, I've only been at it a few months but im a happy lad with the results so far
Dyno

Postby Popcorn Jack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Aging your spirit with oak at different abv% will give you different flavors from the oak. Also different types of oaks wether there raw, toasted, or charred and over certain durations will also give different flavors and colours. without getting to complex about it higher abv will give you Vanillans from the oak and some sugars and the oposite for lower abv%.

When Jack is put in the charred barrels its at 140 proof which is 75% then its left there for 4 years. After that it is watered down to 40% and bottled.

When oaking one has to also take into fact the surface area of the oak in contact with a spirit inside a barrel and for what duration, compared to the surface area of chips to spirt/time that we would more likley use when trying to imitate a style.

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:26 am

That's interesting PJ....I have read a little about that, certainly gets technical...one day it will make more sense , couple that with a little more patience ... :-D
Dyno

Postby bayshine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:52 am

Just by watching the jack mega factory show on YouTube
It looked like they seasoned or toasted the barrels prior to charring
They wouldn't let on about that bit lol
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby CH3CH2OH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 am

Anyone been using these for their rum?

I picked up a few bags to try. I am thinking of waving the mapp torch over them for a bit of char and toasting some in the oven and tossing them in.

What proportions are people using for rum?

My plan is to aerate on the chips as well
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Return to Oaking and Aging