High alcohol in barrels?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: High alcohol in barrels?

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 pm

rumby wrote:5Star where did you get your barrells.

My LHBS sell the Roll Out The Barrels barrels in Capalaba
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 am

McStill wrote:all the prices are on the site ;)

Whoa.. the 100l's used to be only twenty or thirty bucks dearer than the 50's :o :shock:

Was just talking to Bourbon Girl day before yesti about filling a hundred to rest for a few years.... :cry:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi folks I put 2 litres of about 55% neutral on charred oak sticks (almost totally blackened piecesbabout 1cm square and up to 10 cm long) and would like to end up with something like what Kiwi describes in the wonderful excerpt 'above' in this thread. Question is (apologies if I am just not looking hard enough for the answer) how long would be a good time to leave them oaking (dont want that 'sucking on wet wood' taste etc)?
Frank

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm

G'day Frank,

I think the best answer to your question will be given to you by your taste buds ;)

I dont think many people would put neutral/vodka on oak, so if it was me I would just taste a small spoon full every couple of weeks until it's where you want it to be :)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 am

I've used neutral to season my barrells last time they came back from recharring.

Tastes kinda funny having the oak flavour there with nothing to back it up. I assume you are going to use essence after you get it to where you want?

I made tea whiskey with some. There's a thread on AD somewhere that PunkinsEye would find, but from memeory i used about ten tea bags for a week, tasted too tannin, so i watered it down with 50/50 clean neutral.

Gave someone a bottle of it the other week, but i never heard what he thought of it.

Short answer to aging is a little oak for a long time. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Cooperville » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 pm

I have had a commercial whiskey and they age their whiskey on merlot shiraz and other red barrels with some most amazing flavours
even peated malt
the bottles arent cheap so decided to make my own only learning at the moment but with time!
i have asked and they get their barrels directly from the winery and suggested that i do the same !!!!! :idea: :idea:
they were 50l and some bigger ones maybe 100l
Cooperville

equipment: junk loads of junk

Postby johnny108 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 am

I once aged some nice rum on medium-toast American oak at 80%abv- it tasted great- but the burn was made worse by an astringint/tannic taste in the finish- VERY much like trying to drink vanilla extract straight. Had to water it down and blend it with an unaged batch.
johnny108

equipment: stovetop potstills

Postby Modernity » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:30 pm

I have been toasting/Charcoaling oak (red) wine barrel staves in the Webber gas BBQ. The aim is to get some stock oak charcoal (and I hot smoke meat at the same time).
I would think that if the inside of the barrel is toasted to give the "Distillery" it's flavour profile then I should toast the whole (all sides) stick to the same charcoal finish before adding it to my spirit (when I get this f***ing still built). They say up to 80+% of scotch flavour is a result of the time spent the barrel.
I would like to study the effect of the charcoal toasting filtering the flavouroids and esters from the un-toasted oak flavour from with-in the stave.
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging