JW Red Lable

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

JW Red Lable

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Gday

Well now.....The plan is to make JW Red Lable.

50l of TPW bubbling, do i need to soak it on oak chips/toasted or not toasted, if toasted how do i do this?
Aprx how long to be soaked?
And what should the alc level be for soaking(losses due to soaking)
Then to add essence and store for aprox how long?

With your help i am sure Johny and me will be best mates..

Thanx Guys.
JOHNYWALKER

equipment: 60l FERMENTATION CONTAINER
REFLUX STILL

Re: JW Red Lable

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:11 pm

what type of oak are you using? and are they chips, dominos or what? what essence are you using?
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Smbjk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:23 pm

still spirits single malt is ok and with soaking for 1 month should be a pretty decent produce. if you can get some american oak staves cut them into 1cm square x 10cm long sticks, wrap in alfoil bake in 250 deg oven for 2hrs approx. that will give you a nice toasted stick
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:36 pm

:text-+1:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:28 pm

So this is the ingredients that i have ordered

Samuel Willards Gold Star Scotch Whisky
Essencia Whisky Chunks 500 Grams (Toasted or Not Toasted) and for 4 weeks. (how much chunks?)

Ta

jw
JOHNYWALKER

REFLUX STILL

Postby Sam. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 pm

The problem with scotch essences is that none of them taste remotely like scotch :handgestures-thumbdown: Most of them are really sweet. The best by far is using the whisky profile kit but at the end of the day it is still an essence and you can taste that it is.

Better off soaking on chips/staves/dominoes then adding some peat essence or peat treek.

Or go for a Mac whisky or some variant and add some peat to it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As for making Johnny Walker if you like it then try to replicate it but you can make something a whole lot better ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:42 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:The problem with scotch essences is that none of them taste remotely like scotch :handgestures-thumbdown: Most of them are really sweet. The best by far is using the whisky profile kit but at the end of the day it is still an essence and you can taste that it is.

Better off soaking on chips/staves/dominoes then adding some peat essence or peat treek.

Or go for a Mac whisky or some variant and add some peat to it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As for making Johnny Walker if you like it then try to replicate it but you can make something a whole lot better ;-)

SnL is quite right here, it'll never BE what the world calls whisky. However, I've had SOME success with SS Top Shelf essences and oaking the mixture.

In particular the Irish Whiskey, but I like a bit of the sweetness in it.

At the end of the day you'll need to experiment and just make something you like. The taste of whiskey is like the taste of wine...people can rattle on about the complexities and differences of the good stuff till the cows come home, but the bad stuff, everyone can agree on.

Just make some good stuff.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Yes I would agree ,all Scotch essences taste like crap but SS single malt is different ....They have actually nailed something that is drinkable ..that's why every time I go to HBS its out of stock ...seems like every ones onto it now.

CCF19082013_00000.jpg

Ignore the wank on the packet ,this tastes like it was made in Scotland ...at least
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Smbjk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:43 pm

:text-+1: I would agree with yummyrum on this. It is actually not that bad but after I oaked it it was pretty good :handgestures-thumbupleft: I only use 1 toasted oak stick for 3 weeks so not to over oak and I did this at 40% in a 2 litre jar. I have also had some success with this method with a jack daniels clone. Oh well I have a bubbler now and the essences won't be used as much or if at all :D
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Brendan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't want to be the dick here...but why on earth would you want to make JW red label?? :puke-huge: Have you tried any other spirits ever??

Just pulling your chain, but really you're aiming for their bottom shelf...your goal is to make their worst product (and in my opinion, the worst product in the world...but I grew up on bundy rum, so we all do strange things!).

At least aim for the quality of black or green label ;-) The way we distill and age at our level, you should be able to surpass the quality of red label after only a few months on oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Smbjk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Hey jw where you live? I have a few spare sticks you can have to get you started if you want. I'm from brisbane. I find the sticks much easier to use than chunks or shavings
Smbjk

Control box

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Boys

I am up in the Pilbara WA.,

I have never had the opportunity to taste the good stuff, But now at least i have something to look forward to. I will make this batch and then i will go onto the good stuff.

JW
JOHNYWALKER

REFLUX STILL

Return to Oaking and Aging