UJSM/Bourbon - Vanilla tones with American oak ?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

UJSM/Bourbon - Vanilla tones with American oak ?

Postby bluess57 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Anyone successfully have vanilla tones coming thru with American oak? How long did it take?
I had a bottle of Jim Beam black label aged 6 years which had a nice subtle vanilla flavour, that I'd like to replicate.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Re: UJSM/Bourbon - Vanilla tones with American oak ?

Postby Smbjk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 am

bluess57 wrote:Anyone successfully have vanilla tones coming thru with American oak? How long did it take?
I had a bottle of Jim Beam black label aged 6 years which had a nice subtle vanilla flavour, that I'd like to replicate.

Maybe 6 years :laughing-rolling: not to sure mate but I that a good toasting of the oak will give you a very desirable product.
This chart may give you some information on toasting just convert to deg and give it a go :handgestures-thumbupleft: you will see the vanilla range
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby bt1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:39 am

Howdy,

Just a couple of issues here...toast rather than char and at lower temp say around or just below 200c.

Second point I usually sub batch for vanillin's say a 2lt out of 5lt total and age at lower abv's than normal say 53 - 58 abv temp corrected.

Finally 1 x 2 min steamed raw stick and one lightly toasted as per above. Works takes a fair bit of time > 8 months.

If your keen on shorter term drop Vanilla bean works also...but suggest sub batching as it's real easy to over do it/hard to get precision ...far far easier to throw a whole bean crushed/cut into a 1lt then blend back in small amounts taste/re blend/taste to main batch for the taste you want.

Again preferred is lower abv closer to 50 abv for the bean sub batch method. If you go higher abv ...the normal 60 to 65 abv the bean will go bitter.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby bluess57 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 am

Yes, had considered using a vanilla bean or vanilla essence and blending. Good points about using lower ABV for this.
I know more age time is required for my product, but I am putting it out there to those that have been distilling longer/have longer aged product.

Further background:-
I'm using seberlefort mini staves product code MSA42. (As are many others who have participated in the recent group buys).
These mini staves are already toasted.
The oak adjunct analysis sheet for suber-lefort MSA42 dominos (the one I was sent, dated 6/02/2013), reported 178 micrograms of extractable flavours per gram of wood.
This is the highest for the AO mini staves. It states:- "Theoretically for each gram of wood soaked in one liter of wine you would achieve the stated quantity of flavours per litre"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 am

Bluess,

just on the essence please use extreme care here...much prefer the bean...
I used an US fully organic vanilla extract cost 3 x times local price.

Shite had a glycerine type base in it not stated on product detail or web site...in high strength alco it turned to a liquid soapy stuff up and was thrown out.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Oaking and Aging