Apple Wood with Plum Brandy

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Apple Wood with Plum Brandy

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Howdy, just new to this so I'm not sure of some of the detail. I've had a bit of a look and can't find much information of using apple wood to flavour and age spirit.

I have 6 litres of plum brandy at 40%ABV. Double-distilled through my pot still and quite drinkable as is with a hint of plum flavour. I have some apple wood chips and I want to try putting some down for 12 months or more.

Any suggests on how much to use? Process? I'm guessing bake the chips in the oven for a couple of hours, then char with the blow torch. Wash the chips and then add to the spirit.

I'm happy to split it into 3 lots of 2 litres and trying different methods/quantities.

Thanks

Rolf
Rolf Boldrewood

equipment: 2" home made pot still on a 12 litre boiler.

Re: Apple Wood with Plum Brandy

Postby Brendan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm not entirely sure with brandies, but with whiskies there is a discernible difference between ageing at 65% and 60%...below 60 extracting less than desirable flavours...I would imagine brandy aged at 40%ABV to do similar...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Brendan wrote:I'm not entirely sure with brandies, but with whiskies there is a discernible difference between ageing at 65% and 60%...below 60 extracting less than desirable flavours...I would imagine brandy aged at 40%ABV to do similar...

:text-+1: you will regret doing it at 40 it just doesn't work the same :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:03 am

How would I go if I ran it through the still again and stopped when I had it at 65%? I could use the left overs in my next spirit run. I'm keen to see what a bit of wood will do to it.

Thanks

Rolf
Rolf Boldrewood

Postby bt1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:16 am

Hello Rolf,

Agree 40 abv on timber is not a real pleasant drop.

Routinely used an American oak at about 53 - 55 abv to pull vanillin's out in a smaller sub batch...this is a short termer however and main spirit volume is always in the normal 60 - 65 range closer to 65.

On the re running question, loss of volume and flavour with another run but it will get you a nice keeper which you can play with various timbers. Just on timber selection reckon a nice port soaked sticks would be rather nice if not over done.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks for all the advice. I do have a 25 litre barrel that I use for my Satsuma Plum port. I reckon I might drain the port and put the spirit in there for a while and see what happens. The spirit is from the same plums. I will return the port when I reckon that the spirit has picked up enough flavour. Will be interesting if nothing else.

What do you think?

Rolf
Rolf Boldrewood

Postby bt1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 am

Hello Rolf,

Idea is well worth trying and mean trying as in a small test.

I've not come across a Satsuma Plum port so can't be definite on flavours/speed of imparting. I'd sub batch off a 1lt and try it.

I can say however 2 std sticks port soaked add a fair bit of flavour to a 1lt in very short time. Be keeping a close eye on it so it's not over done.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:59 am

Well I've done it. I roasted 3 small pieces of apple wood in the oven for 30 minutes at 200C (They were starting to smoke by then). I then soaked them in Plum Port for 30 minutes before putting them in the spirit. The pieces were around 1/2 a walnut size each. I have some more soaking so if I want more flavour I can add more chips. So far so good. It has started to colour up nicely and the subtle plum flavour is still there and maybe a little stronger because of the port.

IMG_5892_Small.JPG

The flagon on the left has the apple wood. The flagon in the middle is raw spirit (40%ABV) and the flagon on the right is cherry brandly. 600 grams of cherries halved, 2 cinammon sticks and a tablespoon of castor sugar. Only started that yesterday and will see how it looks after a week.

Will keep you posted.

Rolf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rolf Boldrewood

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 am

An update. I'm very happy with how this has gone. Colour has darkened considerably and the flavour is improving all the time. No sign of undesirable flavours coming from the wood.

The flagon on the right is the cherry 'schnapps'. I removed the cherries about a week ago. Very happy with the flavour and colour. Will bottle it soon as I'm running short of flagons.

Regards
Rolf

IMG_5915_Small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rolf Boldrewood

Return to Oaking and Aging