aging with mango

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

aging with mango

Postby darbwah » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:50 pm

hey
ive been trying to research whether you can age spurits with mango wood with no ill effects but having trouble finding anything about it. i dont really want to go killing myself so i thought id put it out there to see if anyone has had any success or knows anything about using it to age?
darbwah

equipment: 2" boka. 50l keg boiler. 2200w

Re: aging with mango

Postby Smbjk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:01 am

From memory there was a previous thread about the exact same thing and I think it was considered to be notma great idea. Just can't guite remember though. Just be careful bud there are some nasties in some woods that will make you quite sick. Best to err one the side of caution and stick with oak untill you know for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby darbwah » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:36 am

yeah i saw that thread, never reslly gave any results though. i think i might just can the idea and stick with oak.
darbwah

equipment: 2" boka. 50l keg boiler. 2200w

Postby Lowdown » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Wood is one thing I happen to know a lot more about than distilling, I work with allot of exotic timbers, and while I can't say for sure in regards to aging spirits, mango is a shocker for dermititis, it's also pretty bad to be around when burnt, personally that's enough for me to avoid it and to give others the same advice, especially as you won't know untill the damadge has already been done.
Lowdown

equipment: 2" pot still & 2" boka
Keg boiler

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Lowdown wrote:Wood is one thing I happen to know a lot more about than distilling, I work with allot of exotic timbers, and while I can't say for sure in regards to aging spirits, mango is a shocker for dermititis, it's also pretty bad to be around when burnt, personally that's enough for me to avoid it and to give others the same advice, especially as you won't know untill the damadge has already been done.

Amen to that ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Oaking and Aging