Boiling oak chips/chunks

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Boiling oak chips/chunks

Postby Magoo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Trying to get far away from the HBS cordials and get to more of the natural oakiness you would get from barreling. I have found on the google very, very few examples of boiling yer oak chips to make a extract for flavoring. Along with this they are very sparse with methods. What I have kinda figured is that if you can toast yer chips in the oven at a given temperature to achieve a particular note from the oak, would it be possible to put the oak in some water on the stove, bring that to a temp that would be able to pull those flavors out. They seem to do something like this for beers and wines. Wondering if any one has tried this for spirits, if they had any luck or suggestions or am just blowing out the back end. I understand that this process takes months in the natural way and that nothing can really beat that. I guess what I'm suggesting I'm trying to achieve is an essence without the cordial, just to help it along a bit.

P.S. wasn't sure whether to post this here or in flavoring.
Magoo

equipment: Air still

Re: Boiling oak chips/chunks

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Magoo,
Im not trying to shoot you down here, but i recon if it were viable....everyone would be doing it. ;-)
you would probably find that the water will just taste like a wet stick rather than imparting the flavours that only spirit can draw out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Magoo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Yeah, that's what I got the first time round but I did let it go longer than I was expecting. Might give it one more go just out of curiosity more than anything and might tone down the heat a bit. Had it at a light simmer, not a true boil, but I'm happy to try it to satisfy my own curiosity. Might be better just to do a heavy soak in some alc instead as an experiment. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanx Kimbo, no shots fired... No bullets dodged...
Magoo

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:06 pm

You could always try the Peatreek method.... with Oak instead of Peat :think:

Add 2 cups Peat Moss to a tin container with lid.
Gently heat on BBQ, turning or shaking frequently, for 1 hour. It will smoke a little bit.
Let cool completely before adding 2 cups high ABV alcohol.
Filter through mesh strainer, then cheesecloth, then a few time through coffee filters.

Add about 1/2 to 1 cup per 20l wash, then distill.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Or intentionally over oak a small amount of spirit to use as an additive?

If the issue is you are time restricted for aging then you should look up the "distress aging" methods. it works on replicating what happens in a large storage tower with daily fluctuations in temperature to open the wood (wood expands when heated) but this can be achieved in a few days with reports being it is as good as a years or so oaking.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 am

Aeration helps and fast if your prepared to take the volume loss it incurs.
If you're really in a hurry the white wine industry uses pre leached oak extracts, about 6 or so grades and various timber profiles. 10gm packet will do a 200lt plus product.

Tried it, not bad, still needs time to "combine" but it doesn't address the removal of esters, phenols etc and spirit is a tad sharp as a result.

WineQuip sell it, I've just used a couple of sample packs so far.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:49 am

bt1 wrote:Aeration helps and fast if your prepared to take the volume loss it incurs.
If you're really in a hurry the white wine industry uses pre leached oak extracts, about 6 or so grades and various timber profiles. 10gm packet will do a 200lt plus product.

Tried it, not bad, still needs time to "combine" but it doesn't address the removal of esters, phenols etc and spirit is a tad sharp as a result.

WineQuip sell it, I've just used a couple of sample packs so far.

bt1

Any idea how to replicate this in a home method?
Urrazeb

Postby Magoo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Gonna give your a idea Peatreeking a go Kimbo and see what comes out. I guess you just substitute the peat for oak

Not in a hurry for some good sh** as I've got some stuff on the side i'm playing with and some stuff that will do in the meantime. Got a jar going as an over oak as well Urrazeb, but will let it run for quite some time. Distress aging sounds interesting, tickled my curiosity.

Thanx for your input.
Magoo

Postby Kimbo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Magoo wrote:Gonna give your a idea Peatreeking a go Kimbo and see what comes out. I guess you just substitute the peat for oak

Not in a hurry for some good sh** as I've got some stuff on the side i'm playing with and some stuff that will do in the meantime. Got a jar going as an over oak as well Urrazeb, but will let it run for quite some time. Distress aging sounds interesting, tickled my curiosity.

Thanx for your input.

That's great mate, please let us know your findings and thoughts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Magoo wrote:Gonna give your a idea Peatreeking a go Kimbo and see what comes out. I guess you just substitute the peat for oak

Thanx for your input.

That's great mate, please let us know your findings and thoughts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Keep us posted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Return to Oaking and Aging