Charred Maple bourbon

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Charred Maple bourbon

Postby Swede » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 am

As I indicated in another thread, I'm from Canada, and as such, we have maple wood readily available here. I'm not sure about the availability of maple in Oz, but if you can get some, you may want to give this a go.

I did this at a time when I was having trouble sourcing white oak, and the results were really amazing. I took solid maple wood, cut it into typical aging stick sizes, roughly 13mm x 13mm x 10-15cm long, and charred them on the bbq. I charred them till they were completely black, and immediately after, plunged into water to quench any coals.

I took 15 or so of these, and placed them in my 20L carboy filled with my finest ujssm bourbon, (simple sour mash corn/sugar wash) After a week, the spirit took on color, after a month it has taken on a very typical bourbon note, but with an additional sweet, smokey maple note. If you have ever had real maple syrup on pancakes, (if that's what aussies call em ;) ) think of that taste, sweet and a hint of smokyness. That's the extra note that is added.

I am pleased, and will continue to keep this in stock, I actually prefer it to the identical spirit that's aged on oak.
Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Re: Charred Maple bourbon

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Sounds nice.
I did see somewhere else, somebody was adding maple syrup to the bourbon.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby maheel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm

yeah pancakes and maple :) yum yum yum i like golden syrup on em to and maybe more aussie? :)

but now i am looking at that bottle of syrup and thinking maybe just a drop or two cant hurt in some oaked spirit can it... yum yum
and that vanilla extract sitting right there ....... maybe a drop of that as well :mrgreen:

but that idea of toasted maple sure sounds the shizz
maheel

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:20 am

A combination of maple and white oak may end up being perfect then Swede?

I used to add 10ml to the litre at bottling of real maple syrup. Then i became better at ageing and found it just wasn't nessercary, the toasted oak was putting the sweetness in if left for long enough. Haven't done it for years now, but for those who are not having there intake and there output balance on the side of output, 10ml to the litre is what we found to be the best ratioo.

Buy REAL maple syrup, even though it's three times the price. If you want to play with vannilla, buy extract not essence. Or just use paste or bean.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Swede » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 am

The use of maple as opposed to oak was simply a matter of availability, I happened to have some maple on hand, and decided to use it. It amazed me how the flavor came through, but not overpowering sweetness like adding syrup to the alcohol.

LIke you 5Star, early on in my stilling career (if you want to call it that) :D I used to use some glycerin or vanilla to smooth over the rough edges. It was more for covering up the taste of my inexperience more than anything.....

I find this to be an interesting variation of typical oak aged bourbon, but do notice it's missing some of the typical vanillins that are associated with oak. I think your onto something, a mix of both.......

Once I get a keg, I may toss in a few maple sticks, and get the oak/maple bourbon thing going on, that could be a real winner.
Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Return to Oaking and Aging