CFW on oak.

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

CFW on oak.

Postby Chips Molasses » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:43 pm

CFW sitting on some French oak. This is so very drinkable. I know I should leave it longer, but it's so tasty! It's only been on chips for three weeks. I want to find an oak barrel at the right price. The demijohns work fine, but something about the look of an oak barrel is appealing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Re: CFW on oak.

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Nice mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Haven't done a CFW yet.. But I'm interested.. Did you strip and then spirit run through your pot still? How would you describe the flavour?
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Chips Molasses » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:42 pm

I did a stripping run followed by a spirit run, 56l yielded only about 6 litres of what I though was "good stuff" the rest I stored as feints to run again. I drink my scotch and rum without mixers, just on ice. I have been drinking it too strong, at 65% it lights up your mouth with a lovely tingle. It's a very earthy and corny flavour. The oak comes through afterwards. At 40% it's very smooth! but I miss the flavours of the 65% I actually think the NGW worked better, it had a sweeter and grainier note. Just waiting for Nutrigrain to come on special!!! Last time I used home brand Nutri grain knock off, it was high in malted barley too.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Sounds like I have two more washes to try.. But not until I finish with my rum and UJSM which i'm halfway through!! I love this hobby but it's starting to get out of control!! :))
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Return to Oaking and Aging