English Oak

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

English Oak

Postby Dave86 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:23 am

I have about 10 slabs of English oak I was given a couple of years ago. I was told I could use it for whiskys. Its been sitting in the corner of the shed so I don't even know if its still usable.

My question is how do I actually use it?? do I chip it or use a planer on it to get fine flakes??

Regards

Dave
Dave86

equipment: 5 lt pot still.
50 lt reflux still (hiding in the shed)

Re: English Oak

Postby bt1 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:48 am

Nice get.. Euro oak is fine to use. Dave not sure on condition or use so i'll cover it from the start assuming the worst...edit as you need bloke.

plain/sand (course grit) the surfaces to remove any timber that might have been treated/sprayed for pests (wineries common practice)

Remove wine stained area is the go...the wines already removed the same new timber we need access to
Cut into strips about 1cm wide x 2cm tall x 10cm long equally using a jigsaw/bandsaw/handsaw Strips pref over chips cos it reduces end grain exposure ratio meaning less tannins in spirit.

Divide into 3 each piles

First a med toast onto oven tray seal with foil put 3 -4 pin holes in foil for air into oven at about 185c for 45 mins, test may need longer med toast for more sugars/vanins longer term ageing sticks

Second pile same but for longer as a dark toast = stronger timber flavours more caramels burnt sugars effect

Third pile put in a stock pot boil for 3 mins to get well soaked/water penetration. Char /flame the timber a gas burner ring is ideal evenly char but not ignite. Then depending on flavour profile preferred wash some in boiling water just a quick rinse, to remove the high smoke flavour... or don't and it produces a much stronger char taste = suit big Ryes, rums, JD's style of work.

Take approx. half the medium toasts and soak in sheery and port jars separately for 2 months using a cheap port and cheap sweat sherry. Discard spirits re fill using a better quality spirit allow to sit for good 3 months. These you can use to add to sub batches for blending. Port = rounder wider fuller taste, sherry more peaky, sharp but better long term.

That's about it you should then have 6 timbers to play with use in sub batches to get a feel and in early days check regularly for taste development...store in air tight foil wrapped 9once completely dry if rinsing) separately to keep their distinct characteristics

enough to paly with for a year or two

bt1

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby bt1 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:49 am

bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sat May 17, 2014 4:45 pm

English oak also know as royal oak is the same tree as limousine oak, one of the main "French" oaks and can be used just as you would use French oak, there is a thread somewhere on it, probably searching Quircus Robar should find it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kiwikeg » Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Its spelt Quercus robur :violence-stickwhack:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby SBB » Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Quote"
"European oak (Quercus robur)
This type of oak has traditionally been used to mature whisky in Scotland and Ireland for nearly two centuries. The first casks were made from English or Scottish oak but these species of tree were slow growing with twisted trucks and grain and this made the casks prone to leaking. Later Russian oak was imported as this gave more consistent wood structure due to the trees being fast growing with straight trunks."
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Dave86 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for your help. The slabs are not from a wine barrel, rather they are milled slabs. They were from a home brew shop in Toowoomba that closed down.

I will plane them off to fresh wood and then cut them up and do as you suggested and toast some and char the others.

FYI, I'm a horticulturist by trade, the parks I work in are full of oaks of all types, shame I'd get the sack for taking any timber from them when our arborist crews prune them.

Dave.
Dave86

Postby SBB » Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Dave86 wrote: shame I'd get the sack for taking any timber from them when our arborist crews prune them.

:think: So what does happen to the wood they prune off?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Dave86 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:20 am

SBB wrote:
Dave86 wrote: shame I'd get the sack for taking any timber from them when our arborist crews prune them.

:think: So what does happen to the wood they prune off?

Through a chipper and into a garden as mulch :angry-banghead:
Dave86

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Dave86 wrote:

Through a chipper

PERFECT :handgestures-thumbupleft: ready for the oven then the bottle!
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Fri May 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Dave this sound like a crime to me, :handgestures-thumbdown: cant you you have a bit of a chat to the "arborist crew" and bribe them with a bottle or two. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Id love to get my hands on some big chunks of American or English oak.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby res » Fri May 30, 2014 11:41 pm

SBB wrote:Id love to get my hands on some big chunks of American or English oak.

:text-+1:
Lumber is like liquor, you want the hearts. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Hold out for a nice bit of heart wood in the trunk. :pray:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Dave86 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:59 pm

SBB wrote:Dave this sound like a crime to me, :handgestures-thumbdown: cant you you have a bit of a chat to the "arborist crew" and bribe them with a bottle or two. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Id love to get my hands on some big chunks of American or English oak.

It is a crime mate. You would be shocked at what is wasted in local governments.

Bribing them is easy. Getting the timber is the hard part. Our yards are full of cameras because of thieving.

The biggest issue is the oaks are relatively low maintenance, I have never seen a branch bigger then 2in pruned off them. Never has one been totally removed.

I have got heaps to keep me going and I'm also doing some trading with another forum member who happens to be in the same work gang as me.
Dave86

Return to Oaking and Aging