Oak Aging woody flavour

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oak Aging woody flavour

Postby Fed » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 pm

HI all,

I have 3 litres of 65% rum sitting in an aging jar for 8 weeks. 2 dominoes, one 10cm the other 20cm. Both have been pre toasted and I charred heavily, the skin was more than crocodile skin. Tried some over the week end, nice taste with the exception of the very, very woody flavour. 10CM/litre is what I've been using with no problem, the charring should reduce the woodiness. Is it now potential neutral or remove the dominoes and throw in 2 old sticks that have been charred to the point where it's mostly charcoal?
Fed

equipment: 25L off the rack with 2 inch pot from Mac

Re: Oak Aging woody flavour

Postby Smbjk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Fed wrote:HI all,

I have 3 litres of 65% rum sitting in an aging jar for 8 weeks. 2 dominoes, one 10cm the other 20cm. Both have been pre toasted and I charred heavily, the skin was more than crocodile skin. Tried some over the week end, nice taste with the exception of the very, very woody flavour. 10CM/litre is what I've been using with no problem, the charring should reduce the woodiness. Is it now potential neutral or remove the dominoes and throw in 2 old sticks that have been charred to the point where it's mostly charcoal?

I probably remove 1 stick. I found the woody flavor will reduce after 3mths. Just give it time to mellow mate
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Fed » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Smbjk wrote:
Fed wrote:HI all,

I probably remove 1 stick. I found the woody flavor will reduce after 3mths. Just give it time to mellow mate

Cheers, hate to loose the whole lot!
Fed

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:00 am

Smbjk wrote:

:text-+1: Don't forget to lift the lid every other day to let it air a bit too. Head space in ageing vessels is a neccessity :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:18 am

I have no problems wirh that part... :laughing-rolling: ...keeping the lid on is mine
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Geeps » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Yummyrum wrote:I have no problems wirh that part... :laughing-rolling: ...keeping the lid on is mine

:text-+1: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Geko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Am only a newb but I did read somewhere that an abv above 60% will leach tannins from oak. Its best to oak below 60% abv. Not sure what others think but I oak @ 55% and the result after 8 weeks is a very smooth drop that I can have straight on ice. (Watered down to 45%)
Geko

equipment: QLD CENTRAL COAST
T500

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Geko wrote:Am only a newb but I did read somewhere that an abv above 60% will leach tannins from oak. Its best to oak below 60% abv. Not sure what others think but I oak @ 55% and the result after 8 weeks is a very smooth drop that I can have straight on ice. (Watered down to 45%)

You will find most oak between 60 and 65 %, but yeah you will get various extractions and flavours at different ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 pm

To right Sam .

SBB pointed out to me that Bundy Oak at around 78% ABV ...further investigation showed that several Aussie Rums are Oaked at that or around .So I have been Trying Rum at that and after 6 months + on , Nice .. Tastes like Bundy ,no ...tastes over Oaked ...no ....subtle Rum taste yes . woody ...???...no ..not what I would call .

I have done several different Oaks around the same time and Oaked each with around the same ABV , Straight French Oak , Toasted French Oak ,Toasted American Oak .Charred American Oak ..HBS un-charred Oak chips .

Guess which ones taste the best after 6 months ......HBS ASAIK ...Un-Charred or Un -Toasted American Oak Chips b frickin un-believable
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Fed » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:50 am

Yummyrum wrote:I have no problems wirh that part... :laughing-rolling: ...keeping the lid on is mine

:text-+1: I'm surprised it last three months before it gets drunk. thanks for all your help guys.
Fed

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi all,

I have about 6 ltrs of BWKO ageing at 65% on toasted and chared American oak. I stashed it away about 2 months ago in a place i would forget about it so i wouldn't drink it and pulled it out the other day to give it a try and well i have to say i was disappointed. I think it may well be over oaked, it just tastes like wood, not at all pleasant. You could drink it if you had to but i would rather not.

I'm not sure what went wrong i was working on 10g per ltr, maybe my scales weren't up to scratch or it got really hot, oak was no good, who knows? Anyway reading the threads on this it sounds like it might come good with time but is it worth it? Would i be better off just rerunning it? Will that oak flavour come through? Should i run it to a neutral to make sure? I've read that you can try water it down with some better spirit but I'm worried i may just end up with even more unpleasant booze.

I'm just wondering what others have done to overcome this problem.

Thanks guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Muppet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:25 pm

I haven't over Oaked yet but I would blend it with something unoaked if I needed. Or as the experienced guys above say just remove the oak and give it time. Hope that helps mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I'd loosely fit a lid and chuck it away for another 4-6 months after removing most of the oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby BIG D » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 pm

woodduck wrote:Hi all,

I have about 6 ltrs of BWKO ageing at 65% on toasted and chared American oak. I stashed it away about 2 months ago in a place i would forget about it so i wouldn't drink it and pulled it out the other day to give it a try and well i have to say i was disappointed. I think it may well be over oaked, it just tastes like wood, not at all pleasant. You could drink it if you had to but i would rather not.

I'm not sure what went wrong i was working on 10g per ltr, maybe my scales weren't up to scratch or it got really hot, oak was no good, who knows? Anyway reading the threads on this it sounds like it might come good with time but is it worth it? Would i be better off just rerunning it? Will that oak flavour come through? Should i run it to a neutral to make sure? I've read that you can try water it down with some better spirit but I'm worried i may just end up with even more unpleasant booze.

it will come good with time woody and as Urrazeb pointed out air it, I once did an oat whisky that was shite at 2 months but at 6 months was unbelievable. I find mac whisky to be really good from 3 months on. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby WTDist » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Just did a short search on airing after reading this thread and found results on airing with making cuts which wasnt what i wad looking for. was a short search.
So ill ask here, why is it we air our jars with oak? I also took my seals out and occasionally open them to air for short times.
Why is it that we should do this? evaporate nasties?
Thanks
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby BIG D » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:26 pm

WTDist wrote:Just did a short search on airing after reading this thread and found results on airing with making cuts which wasnt what i wad looking for. was a short search.
So ill ask here, why is it we air our jars with oak? I also took my seals out and occasionally open them to air for short times.
Why is it that we should do this? evaporate nasties?
Thanks

Wt in an oak barrel the spirit can breath and the evaporation of some of the lighter alcohol is referred to as the angels share, this is what we are trying to replicate :handgestures-thumbupleft: Angels aren't very nice when they are sober. ;-) I prefer to have my aging vessels sealed and open them for an hour or so twice a week.
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby woodduck » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I'll stash it away for a few more months and see what I get. Should I leave some oak in there, like 2or3 grams or take it right out.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Nah mate you want a bit in there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Fed » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:50 am

woodduck wrote:Hi all,

Hey woodduck, how did you go with this? I forgot about this batch and only found it over the weekend, tried some from the aging jar, amazing difference. I think I"ll only be using one stick for 6+ months from here on in. this was one of the best rums i've made and I was going to turn it into a vodka!
Fed

Postby Marbled » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Muppet wrote:I haven't over Oaked yet but I would blend it with something unoaked if I needed. Or as the experienced guys above say just remove the oak and give it time. Hope that helps mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I went really silly with a 5 litre batch of 60% and it's seriously over Oaked, I've had much fun with various blends using it and unflavoured spirit. The overoaked original is ok (to me) with cola, right through to a 50/50 mix which is fairly mildly Oaked.
The experimenting is fun. I'm glad I did it.
But then I'm easy pleased.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Return to Oaking and Aging