Should I char the oak?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Should I char the oak?

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Years ago I mentioned Distiller forum to my HBS owner...I was shot down and told its all miss-truths and not to believe anything I read on the internet.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: quite the opposite :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 pm

I have been thinking a lot about whether to char or not lately and have come up with a bit of a theory.. Don't the rum distilleries in Cuba use used bourbon barrels to age in? And don't the bourbon distilleries char the virgin barrels? What if I were to char the staves for ageing UJ and when finished use those same staves for ageing my rum? :-B :think:
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah that might work but it depends on what profile your after. I personally like too keep my rum and whiskey well away from each other, but thats the beauty of this hobby... if you don't like it or are after ideas on continuous improvement then go for it :handgestures-thumbupleft: might work out to be some really good gear for your tastes.. and that's what its all about :teasing-blah:
Urrazeb

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah, I suppose if you were trying to get say a Bacardi 8 profile it might be the direction to take.. Would trying to replicate a similar climate (for example keeping the ageing jars in a warmer room) also help to get the desired profile? Maybe cold room for things like scotch, warm room for things like rum? :-B

Anyone tried doing this?
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:39 pm

spit'n'shine wrote:Yeah, I suppose if you were trying to get say a Bacardi 8 profile it might be the direction to take.. Would trying to replicate a similar climate (for example keeping the ageing jars in a warmer room) also help to get the desired profile? Maybe cold room for things like scotch, warm room for things like rum? :-B

Anyone tried doing this?

I think trying to replicate as many variables as possible is of benefit when copying another product. The closer you get to the climate, water quality blah blah blah the closer it is going to taste like what you want to mimic.. but this don't come easy and most of us settle for something different (better IMO) than the original.

I have not aged specifically on temperature before to replicate another product but believe ageing temp is way down the list when it comes to things we can change to try and match a product.
Urrazeb

Postby Spar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 am

I did read somewhere also about using small amounts of mollasses in with the oak to give a sweeter flavor to the rum. Has anyone tried this?
Spar

equipment: all home made

Postby crow » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:20 pm

the rum industry is quite unregulated when it comes to smoothing agents ect and so a hell of a lot of commercial rums are sweetened and smoothed a whole hell of a lot with syrups and caramel, it cuts down the time they did to age and allows them to cut more liberally :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby spit'n'shine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:44 pm

crow wrote:the rum industry is quite unregulated when it comes to smoothing agents ect and so a hell of a lot of commercial rums are sweetened and smoothed a whole hell of a lot with syrups and caramel, it cuts down the time they did to age and allows them to cut more liberally :-B

Interesting.. Is it also true that rum ages faster because of the warmer climates that they are generally made and aged?
spit'n'shine

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging