Should I char the oak?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Should I char the oak?

Postby Spar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Was going to get some chunks of oak from barrel staves as they are quite cheap, and I was wondering if I should put these straight into the spirit for aging of if I should char them a bit first?
Spar

equipment: all home made

Re: Should I char the oak?

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Evening Spar,

Which spirit are you looking to oak?
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Spar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Rum mate. I have my wash down and still a few weeks off from aging it but I'm just trying to get all my info together. Thanks
Spar

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Champ,

Im not sure which staves your talking about, but i use Medium Toast American Oak Dominoes for my rum i sourced from here http://www.suber-lefort.com.au/

Great stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As i said not sure about the oak your looking at but will say, imo, a toasting will certainly help your product
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Spar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I was actually looking at this. http://www.mistygully.com.au/oak-wine-b ... hunks-1kg/
I can't see the link you sent properly on my phone, but will check it out later. Are they reasonable priced?
Spar

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Spar it depends wether it's an American or French oak barrel as to the flavour it will impart, then it depends if you toast or char and how heavy you go.

A few variables there but for rum you would prob be best to for a heavy char of American :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Nothin wrong with using cut down staves from barrels but the professional made ones like above might be a bit better ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:07 pm

LOL Sam, no wonder you not so keen on Rum
I tried Charring some ..... :puke-huge: .Its just not Rum like ...Toast seems the better option ..although I have been trying straight American Oak in an effort to simulate Bundy ,also OK but not the traditional Rum flavour

There are a few posts around on how to Toast your own Oak in Barbies and Ovens..Just can't remember where :oops:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Bushy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:00 am

Yummy !!!! Mate!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're goin for the Bundy feelin. Yeah?
Bundaberg does a fairly wide ranging cut on their runs. Lots of good tails and a heavy smattering of heads. The average west australian can pick the cuts pretty quick. But of course, then you need to drag a mangey dogs arse over the oak.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby whiskeyshiner » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:04 am

Bushy wrote:Yummy !!!! Mate!
Bundaberg does a fairly wide ranging cut on their runs. Lots of good tails and a heavy smattering of heads. The average west australian can pick the cuts pretty quick. But of course, then you need to drag a mangey dogs arse over the oak.

Very subtle bushy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby crow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 am

yep will go along with sentiments but not charring oak for rum. Did it and don't really go on it, that smokey flavor just doesn't seem to belong there to my tastes (of course taste is subjective)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 am

Bushy wrote:Yummy !!!! Mate!

Bushy ,you are quite Correct , I am going for the Bundy Feeling (call it a personal challenge ATM ).....however It is not the only Rum I have ever drunk or like to drink...While I have now doubt that Bundy do add a lot of heads ,adding shit loads of heads Does not make a Rum that tastes anything like Bundy...and if Heads Burn is all people taste and smell in Bundy ,then that is sad because there is so much else going on .

BTW : The OP was asking whether to use Charred Oak in Rum ,I answered no...because IMO it doesn't contribute to Rum in a positive way .Thats Rum in general ...not just Bundy.

Hope that helps :hand: ......got some Mangey lookin dog up the road ...might borrow his arse. :laughing-rolling: ..seems the cane toad and rat shit didn't help
Yummyrum

Postby MacStill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:21 am

BTW : The OP was asking whether to use Charred Oak in Rum ,I answered no...because IMO it doesn't contribute to Rum in a positive way .Thats Rum in general ...not just Bundy.

medium/heavy toast all the way for me too, so a big :text-+1: from me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 am

Ive tried charred in rum as well and didnt like the end result, I use one of two things now, either American oak Dominos, or my own home toasted American oak sticks, I usually toast them till they are a light chocolate brown right through.
Those oak chunks in the link above should make some nice sticks once toasted.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Spar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:29 am

Hmmm just at the local brew shop and the bloke there told me that I'm not doing it right and American oak doesn't work with rum. If u want rum I have to use red gum chips!!! Wtf
Spar

Postby bayshine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Spar wrote:Hmmm just at the local brew shop and the bloke there told me that I'm not doing it right and American oak doesn't work with rum. If u want rum I have to use red gum chips!!! Wtf

Only if you want to poison yourself :-|
I'm pretty sure they make charcoal out of red gum to filter with!
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Yep spot on bayshine :handgestures-thumbupleft: the redgum is for charcoal filtering only. No gumtree should ever be used for ageing :handgestures-thumbdown:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Spar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm

I give him the old nod and the "she'll be right". Guy seems to know jack shit about it for someone who owns a shop...
Spar

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Spar wrote:Hmmm just at the local brew shop and the bloke there told me that I'm not doing it right and American oak doesn't work with rum. If u want rum I have to use red gum chips!!! Wtf

Geez that's some top advice right there, what a dickhead :violence-stickwhack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby baysidebogan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Spar wrote:I give him the old nod and the "she'll be right". Guy seems to know jack shit about it for someone who owns a shop...
Just cos he runs the shop does not mean he knows anything. He just wants to make a profit, he does not care about you or your health
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Years ago I mentioned Distiller forum to my HBS owner...I was shot down and told its all miss-truths and not to believe anything I read on the internet.
Yummyrum

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging