Watering down whiskey and oak storage

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Watering down whiskey and oak storage

Postby Thumpa » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:07 am

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find an answer for what I'm looking for. I age my whisky for at least three months at 65% on American charred oak,problem Is when I water it down it changes taste. I was wondering CAn some1 please let me no the problem or what should I do when or during watering down ^:)^ and also when done using the oak staves how do I store them to reuse them. Thank you fellas in advance :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thumpa

equipment: Have built reflux head. Finished building pot still with double thumpers

Re: Watering down whiskey and oak storage

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:06 am

Howdy,

I doubt you could hold completely the original taste at 65% when watering down. It will have an impact. Adding water to whisky changes the concentration of alcohol increasing the volatility of alcohol-soluble elements like fruity esters, increasing the fruity aspects of the whisky's flavour.

The quality of the water used is an issue. I use spring but have found differences in pH's and taste impacts of differing brands. Settled on A local one = Mount Lofty as it seems to have little impact and unlike most spring waters is at least neutral pH or barely acidic.

Strong alkaline waters are horrors for watering down :handgestures-thumbupleft: There's a few other thing you don't want as well like lots of iron etc that impact on taste. Some commercials de mineralise water to reduce mineral salts for the this reason.

If left on timber the now watered down spirit at lower abv will pull different flavour elements from the timber may be an issue as well. There's a good chart about somewhere that explains what abv's pull what element's from oaks.

I'd suggest trying a few locally available waters. Know this sounds like hard work but a lower mineral volume is what your chasing. A pH meter is not a bad investment either. A few sub batches will ID one that suits your tastes...Hopefully!

One point that's caught me a few times as well... temperature... adding ice reduces the temperature of the whisky and reduces the volatility of the elements it has which reduces taste. Always test at roughly the same temp.

On timber question, when you consider we add timber specifically to add the elements we want and to soak up some of the oils, etc that we don't want.... why re use? if your using smaller strips dominos with high contact area they are generally well flogged and best used for smoking meats etc.

It's not like a much lower surface area barrel where several generations can be had from the same timber.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Brendan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:39 am

:text-+1: everything that bt1 said.

I would say you need to look at the quality of your dilution water, if it's tap water, there's your first problem.

Otherwise it could be a case of the spirit being under oaked...if it seemed just right at 65%, it will come across weak at 40%. Before mine is diluted, it smells and tastes very strong, but dilution brings it to a good spot at 45% :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For storage, I just keep used ones in Glad lock bags...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Thumpa » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks heaps guys will try my water well at least test it I'm using rain water but I'll do these things and report back. Once again great job, help and advice guys priceless
. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thumpa

equipment: Have built reflux head. Finished building pot still with double thumpers

Postby spit'n'shine » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy,

I doubt you could hold completely the original taste at 65% when watering down. It will have an impact. Adding water to whisky changes the concentration of alcohol increasing the volatility of alcohol-soluble elements like fruity esters, increasing the fruity aspects of the whisky's flavour.

The quality of the water used is an issue. I use spring but have found differences in pH's and taste impacts of differing brands. Settled on A local one = Mount Lofty as it seems to have little impact and unlike most spring waters is at least neutral pH or barely acidic.

Strong alkaline waters are horrors for watering down :handgestures-thumbupleft: There's a few other thing you don't want as well like lots of iron etc that impact on taste. Some commercials de mineralise water to reduce mineral salts for the this reason.

If left on timber the now watered down spirit at lower abv will pull different flavour elements from the timber may be an issue as well. There's a good chart about somewhere that explains what abv's pull what element's from oaks.

I'd suggest trying a few locally available waters. Know this sounds like hard work but a lower mineral volume is what your chasing. A pH meter is not a bad investment either. A few sub batches will ID one that suits your tastes...Hopefully!

One point that's caught me a few times as well... temperature... adding ice reduces the temperature of the whisky and reduces the volatility of the elements it has which reduces taste. Always test at roughly the same temp.

On timber question, when you consider we add timber specifically to add the elements we want and to soak up some of the oils, etc that we don't want.... why re use? if your using smaller strips dominos with high contact area they are generally well flogged and best used for smoking meats etc.

It's not like a much lower surface area barrel where several generations can be had from the same timber.

bt1

Hey bt1, that's some great info there, cheers! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What are some other brands of spring water you would recommend if I can't get the mount lofty? I'm currently using an inline filter in my kitchen. Seems okay but not sure if I could be doing better in terms of Ph etc.
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Mrdatsun21 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Gents, would it make a difference if I put the water through the HBS carbon filter that I got when I bought my first still ages ago?
Mrdatsun21

equipment: HBS Reflux still
Home built Pot Still

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 pm

It probably would if you haven't put any spirits though it, if it is anew filter give it a try.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Mrdatsun21 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Pretty sure I have a new cartrige. If it gets rid of all flavours from a turbo wash it should be able to get rid of a few minerals from some store bought water. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mrdatsun21

equipment: HBS Reflux still
Home built Pot Still

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:26 am

Gee fair time ago I checked water...reckon Coles home brand was ok as well.

There's a difference in bottled waters. If it states spring water then it's from a spring. Organic/filter fresh/filtered/natural are most likely filtered tap waters from memory.
Heavy mineral waters are not the go....

I'd simply grab 3 or 4 different packs line em up on the shelf and read the avg serving contents...You look like a dick for 5 minutes in the supermarket but your whisky will be with you for months/years.

Easy choice really...like hitting the checkout with just 6 x2kg bags of sugar...it's a brave game we play :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby spit'n'shine » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 am

bt1 wrote:Gee fair time ago I checked water...reckon Coles home brand was ok as well.

There's a difference in bottled waters. If it states spring water then it's from a spring. Organic/filter fresh/filtered/natural are most likely filtered tap waters from memory.
Heavy mineral waters are not the go....

I'd simply grab 3 or 4 different packs line em up on the shelf and read the avg serving contents...You look like a dick for 5 minutes in the supermarket but your whisky will be with you for months/years.

Easy choice really...like hitting the checkout with just 6 x2kg bags of sugar...it's a brave game we play :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1

Yep.. I ended up doing exactly that last night. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ended up with ice house/box? Brand, I'll see how it goes.

Had a great excuse for buying 20kg of sugar last night. When the checkout chick asked "what's are you making?" I replied "oh nothing, just stocking up cos it's on special". :O)
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Return to Oaking and Aging