Ageing in the freezer?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Ageing in the freezer?

Postby Johnny B Shiney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:02 am

Hey fellas
Ive heard you can age spirit in the freezer but I have no details.
I looked through this section but couldnt see anything on it.
Anyone do it? or is this a myth?
Johnny B Shiney

equipment: pot still

Re: Ageing in the freezer?

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am

Never heard about it but I think If you tried ,you would need to be careful about cracking jars .You couldn't do it in plastic obviously .
I suppose its another variant of forcing booze in/out of wood through change in pressure

I have heard of using a Freezer to strip wash though
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby baysidebogan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:47 am

Water and Alcohol have different boiling and freezing temperatures. All you will end up doing is separating the water/alcohol mix in your spirit. When you eventually take it out of the freezer you will have two separate layers of ice. Also what is the spirit being stored in while in the freezer ? Glass will shatter, leaving a nice mess in the freezer
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby OzKev » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 am

Not sure about aging it in the freezer, but we often store bottles in the freezer so they are nice and cold for drinking. At 40%abv the freezing point is -23c so in most freezers your product will not become frozen.

Code: Select all
Freezing Point
abv% in pure water
(% by volume)    0    10    20    30    40    50    60    70    80    90    100
Temp (oC)    0    -4    -9    -15    -23    -32    -37    -48    -59    -73    -115

the freezing point will also be affected by the sugar content of the product.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 am

It comes down to changes of temperature making the spirit interact with the oak in different ways. Same principle as heating it on oak for aging just you will get a different result. The two used together may give something different again.

This is the reason that barrels stored somewhere that the temp fluctuates more seem to produce a better product.

If your thinking of chucking it in the freezer without and oak on it then I don't see it doing much, either way I wouldn't let it get near it's freezing point :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby res » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:45 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:It comes down to changes of temperature making the spirit interact with the oak in different ways. Same principle as heating it on oak for aging just you will get a different result. The two used together may give something different again.

This is the reason that barrels stored somewhere that the temp fluctuates more seem to produce a better product.

If your thinking of chucking it in the freezer without and oak on it then I don't see it doing much, either way I wouldn't let it get near it's freezing point :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
It will be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I usually put a jar of what ever I have ageing in my fermenting fridge when the ferment is finished. Then set the temp to -2° to crash cool the wash. Works a treat for dropping the yeast out of suspension and ageing the jar.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Return to Oaking and Aging