Oak Aging With Essence

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oak Aging With Essence

Postby WTDist » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:05 am

Hi guys

I use a T500 and have no choice, i have to use essence for bourbons. I use Edwards Essence Scrub Turkey and I always oak age them even though they were nuetral.

My question is should i add the essence before or after they age in oak? I feel before would be better but i havent tried this way yet. Also whats everyones opinion on Mellow Oak flavourings? Use or not?

Cheers
WTDist
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Oak Aging With Essence

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Gday mate,

From memory i reckon the best "aging" you will achieve from an essence is a fortnight. After that im not sure the flavours will improve too much more :think:

So in saying that, its my opinion that you will be best served mixing in your essence and then throw it on oak.

Sample your booze after a week or two and see what you think.

Most of this stuff is trial and error because taste is such a subjective thing :geek:

So just keep trying different methods until you find the right balance that gives you a drop that makes you happy :smile:

Edit: If by mellow oak you mean the liquid oak? No
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:31 pm

i would oak the neutral spirit first at 65%, filter out the oak, water down to 40%, and then add the essence.
for some complexity and a more solid mouth feel (compared to a TPW) try a grain based wash, such as death-wish wheat-germ wash.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby gad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Andy wrote:i would oak the neutral spirit first at 65%, filter out the oak, water down to 40%, and then add the essence.

:text-+1:
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby HoochHound » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:39 pm

For my last batch of Bourbon, I put 2L of 40% neutral on chips for 2 weeks, ran it through a coffee filter and then used Edwards Super Smooth Kentucky Bourbon essence.

After another two weeks in the bottle It's drinking very nicely.

It's not going to set the world on fire, and like the man in the ad said "That ain't Jim Beam", but it's perfectly acceptable and I'm impressed with what I've made. :happy-partydance:
HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:28 pm

For you guys making neutral with a T500 and using whiskey essences, it might be worth a shot using either a CFW or WBAB wash, instead of a TPW. Slightly more expensive, but you may get some carry over flavour from the wash that will help to make a more 'genuine' whiskey.

Just a thought, I haven't tried it myself.

Either that or build yourself a pot head for your T500 boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Marbled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm a T500 user and I'd say do away with the essence, get some decent oak, burn it to buggery, pop loads into 60%,swirl regularly, taste once a week..... Job done.
I'm a simple man.

(and no, it ain't Jim Beam, a mate who is a big Beam fan reckons he prefers my stuff, but then he gets it free, so the "price point" could be significant)
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Meats 2 cents

oak essence is easily made as I found by accidently over oaking a whiskey, only by blending with white dog was it drinkable.
I now always have a jar of over oaked neutral (feints run) that can be use for "speed ageing/testing" before long term ageing( it always gets better . but distillers privilege :twisted: )
Never used a T500 however I used a LM/VM combo - 60" packed (unpacked)column for years and made whiskey and rum ( maybe a little light but good regardless) simply by blending some tails to taste ( Note Tails(wetdog) taste mellows and matures with age and oak)
Try and run it a bit quicker with less reflux
+ 1 Zak cornflake etc will aid in flavour carry over flavour
Dark malt from a HBS will also carry very well ( easily over done)
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Return to Oaking and Aging