Used Wine Barrels

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Used Wine Barrels

Postby Roger » Wed May 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Gumtree have some used wine oak barrels for sale at $200 - a mix of American and French oak. It looks like they are coming from Junee and they are doing a run to Canberra, Yass etc. I have asked what sort of wine has been in the barrels. Does this seem like a good buy? Haven't seen barrels advertised before? Any wines I should stay clear of or request a particular type? Love to think I can spend a few happy hours of my life attempting to fill the sucker. But then what if after a couple of years it tastes like crap?? All my eggs in one basket, or brew in one barrel....
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Re: Used Wine Barrels

Postby RefluxEd » Wed May 20, 2015 7:18 pm

$200 is a bit steep. The situation:
Victoria has had a really good vintage this year and has held back it wine barrels for another year, so hardly any available here. South Australia must have had a lowsy year as there are plenty available there for around $100.
I am thinking of getting a truck to go over there picking up a heap.
It may be worthwhile for you to hire a tandem trailer and go over on a weekend and pick up some too. Depending on the quantity you get, it may be a worthwhile trip. I don't think oak barrells for $100 will appear again any time soon so now is the time to get as many as you reckon you'll need.

On the wine types, I have found that shiraz and merlot work quite well.
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Irritable » Wed May 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Is there a way to char barrels that have been used for wine or is it just to difficult with kids in place / likely...not to end well?
Si
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby RefluxEd » Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Exsitable wrote:Is there a way to char barrels that have been used for wine or is it just to difficult with kids in place / likely...not to end well?
Si

You'll need a propane burner that gives a big soft flame and some coopering skills too. Tricky... :think:
Back in the old days they'd remove all the hoops from one end and prise out the end cap. Then they'd light a fire in the barrell and hopefully get an even char on the inside. The tricky bit is getting the barrel back together and get it water tight.
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Triangle » Wed May 20, 2015 8:04 pm

RefluxEd wrote:South Australia must have had a lowsy year as there are plenty available there for around $100.

At over 50% of the country's production there is just a shit load of them around!
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Sam. » Wed May 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Last one I bought was $60.....

Also, good luck filling one with anything, I would suggest starting with something a bit more reasonable, I find it hard enough to fill a 25L with good stuff let alone 200L :wtf:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Thu May 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Stay clear of these Roger, I asked the guy about buying the lot, how many did he have, are they all American oak? He didn't know and just guessed and ended up lying to me.

I suspect there "hot". :naughty:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Return to Oaking and Aging