Filtering oaked spirits

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Filtering oaked spirits

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:47 pm

the flavour will stay. you will only loose minimal flavour from a filter but that could also depend on the filter. what filter do you have?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:54 pm

None yet.. thinking of some way i can re use spirit from failed recipe experiments. Have been thinking a reflux still then the filter thought crossed my mind.. if the filter is no go prob just wait till i get a bubbler...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:01 pm

bluc wrote:None yet.. thinking of some way i can re use spirit from failed recipe experiments. Have been thinking a reflux still then the filter thought crossed my mind.. if the filter is no go prob just wait till i get a bubbler...

I have an ez filter, the still spirts one. Ran some jim beam essence clone alc at 40% through it with some burnt, way burnt chips. tasted like ash. ran it through twice and it was actually one of the better bourbons i made :))

Did not make it nuetral not even close but it stripped the burnt ash taste from the over cooked chips. It was still coloured too. If you want nuetral, maybe do a few more runs in the pot to get the flavour out some more. each time watering down to minimise flavour. Maybe someone with a pot can chime in. You could make a 120mm 2" RC and easy flange it into the top of your pot column. A modular reflux one. Could be a easy cheap way out. bout 120mm 2" and 1m of 1/2" will do it. Whats your pot look like?
WTDist

Postby Speedmaster71 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:21 pm

I use two coffee filters and i shove about a dozen cotton balls in the filter and sometimes I double filter just in case. Always comes out crystal clear
Speedmaster71

equipment: 2" Boka with a 50l Keg, 1X60 Litre fermenter, 1X 190 Litre fermenter

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:31 pm

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9239 so just add a defleg between pot and t500 boiler? How much flavour will that pull out enough to make it worthwhile? Be a good project and will be a piece in the bubbler puzzle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Speedmaster71 wrote:I use two coffee filters and i shove about a dozen cotton balls in the filter and sometimes I double filter just in case. Always comes out crystal clear

Is that to remove the sediment proteins? been wondering about getting rid of that.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:54 pm

bluc wrote:http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9239 so just add a defleg between pot and t500 boiler? How much flavour will that pull out enough to make it worthwhile? Be a good project and will be a piece in the bubbler puzzle :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There will need to be a length of pipe below the RC and above the boiler with SS scrubbers to increase ABV and strip flavour
WTDist

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Doc had it on page one. If carry over protein then you are probably runing to hard or cutting far to deep onto tails
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby rumsponge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:26 am

'Proteins' are not volatile, so if they end up in your distillate it can only be from puking (nothing to do with tails).
cheers, rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby warramungas » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:56 am

bluc wrote:
Speedmaster71 wrote:I use two coffee filters and i shove about a dozen cotton balls in the filter and sometimes I double filter just in case. Always comes out crystal clear

Is that to remove the sediment proteins? been wondering about getting rid of that.

Sediment would be salts that are soluble in higher % alcohol but become insoluble in lower percentages of alcohol. They shouldn't be toxic and should filter out easily enough.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby RUMBLE » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:47 pm

I too sometimes get the same.I have 10L glass drink dispensers I age in. Once I'm ready I stir and then simply poor into a clean one. Water down to bottle proof then let sit for a day or two. it drops to the bottom and I use the tap on the side to fill bottles and sacrifice a the little bit in the bottom. It seems to me in mine it's charcoal from the toasted oak chips I use.
RUMBLE

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still
modified beer keg pot still

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging