Port Finished Glenmorange

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Port Finished Glenmorange

Postby xcvator » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

To me "port finished Glenmorange" is just about the unltimate scotch :handgestures-thumbupleft: so I'm looking for ideas to achieve this sort taste using essences ( beginner taking baby steps :oops: ) and port/oak chips, any thoughts please .
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Re: Port Finished Glenmorange

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:17 pm

buy cheap port (like a stanley cast, nom nom). soak some staves in the port for a few weeks. then use these to age neutral. either dry them out, partially dry them or put them straight in depending on how much port flavour you want through the spirit. after a good few weeks or some months take out the oak and add essence.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Andy wrote:buy cheap port (like a stanley cast, nom nom). soak some staves in the port for a few weeks. then use these to age neutral. either dry them out, partially dry them or put them straight in depending on how much port flavour you want through the spirit. after a good few weeks or some months take out the oak and add essence.

:text-+1:

Pretty much what I do
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Does this taste ok with say CFW or BWKO? sounds interesting
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:43 pm

can do it with any spirit. a number of spirits are available- jim beam small batch has port, glenmorangie have sherry cask (as do many scotch distilleries)

instead of port you can use sherry

i like sherry oaked rum.
Andy

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Mate and I tried mixing different amounts of port to a bourbon cordial in an attempt to make small batch, can't remember the outcome though :laughing-rolling:
Might try soaking oak first though sounds like a better plan than the one we came up with
Our plan:
Pour a bourbon, add a splash of port, drink, no not quite there.
Repeat :laughing-rolling: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: oops
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby McMelloW » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Andy wrote:buy cheap port (like a stanley cast, nom nom). soak some staves in the port for a few weeks. then use these to age neutral. either dry them out, partially dry them or put them straight in depending on how much port flavour you want through the spirit. after a good few weeks or some months take out the oak and add essence.

That's a bit too easy. Port has been in casks for years before they put the Glenmornagie in it. Soaking some oak chips for weeks hardly will reach the saturation of a cask. But it is worth a try
McMelloW

equipment: Grainfather with Alembic Potstill top

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:03 pm

McMelloW wrote:That's a bit too easy. Port has been in casks for years before they put the Glenmornagie in it. Soaking some oak chips for weeks hardly will reach the saturation of a cask. But it is worth a try

we are not using a cast, we are using staves. more surface area and more end grain exposure. I soak for about 3 months when I do sherry oak for rum, then age the rum for about 6-18 months, and it is more than enough time- possibly too much as it takes away some of the woodiness away. The reason the casks have had sherry in for years is because they are trying to oak the sherry itself (again surface area to column ration comes into play), we are not, we are just flavouring the wood.
Could go with nuclear ageing if you wanted to cut down on time a bit as well.
Andy

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 pm

You've obviously tried both and compared the results, McMelloW? We'd love to see the comparo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby xcvator » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:28 pm

Andy wrote:Could go with nuclear ageing if you wanted to cut down on time a bit as well.

I'm new here :D just what does that mean please :think:
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm

there is a long thread of it over here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38991

it involves heating up the liquid to force it into the oak and then cooling it down to pull it out. Large distilleries utilise the different temperature in their barrel/ageing rooms (hot air rises cold air sinks), some will open up the room to the elements and let to cold in during winter and the warmth in during summer.

I haven't tried this nor would I recommend this method. mainly because I'm lazy and t is easier to put oak in a bottle, poor some port/sherry in the bottle, poor some in my mouth and then wait.
Andy

Postby McMelloW » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:15 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You've obviously tried both and compared the results, McMelloW? We'd love to see the comparo :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have not tried it myself yet. But I love a single cask Scotch matured on Port casks or Sherry casks.
Perhaps I will have a go with staves as well someday
McMelloW

equipment: Grainfather with Alembic Potstill top

Return to Oaking and Aging