Aging Sediment Tails?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Aging Sediment Tails?

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 am

So i have about 4.2L or so of 67% single run neutral on some oak, bout 15g/L.
This is having essence put on it so its nothing to rave about but atm it has none, just neutral and oak. i had an extra 40g in there the first 2 days and then took it out as im not planing on doing this one for that long. just trying to get something i can drink before i go away at Christmas. only so much vodka you can drink :angry-banghead:

anyway i have it in the jar below (4.5L capacity) and it has the late heads jar (just before hearts started) and the first tails jar. i was greedy with the tails jar. the still had a leak and i had a small hearts cut.

i figured aging may help the tails and i use a paper tower on the seal and open it to air so the heads jar wont be a problem too as i plan on evaporating about 300-500ml and loose a few % so in the end not that greedy with heads.

so long story later im wondering what is on the bottom of my aging jar. there is a sediment i havent seen before even with my turdbo stuff. last time i aged on oak i was harsh on cuts, really harsh with no tails so im wondering if the sediment i see in my jar is the tails attaching to something from the oak and sinking to the bottom :think:

so the summary
4.2L @ 67% (from 2 x 25L reflux runs last Friday/Saturday)
late heads jar and early tails jar (150ml each)
15g/L oak i toasted myself
sediment on bottom of jar?

anyone out there know what this is? i plan on using a coffee filter and chill filtering anyway but would like to know what it is.
2015-12-08 09.58.29.jpg

2015-12-08 09.58.39.jpg

2015-12-08 09.58.51.jpg

after i gave the bottle a little movement
2015-12-08 09.59.39.jpg

Cheers
WTD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Aging Sediment Tails?

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:20 pm

Looks like sedement from the domino. Has the domino been used in win or port? I wouldn't think its tails by the look of it :think:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:25 pm

brand new oak from roll out the barrel that i toasted. they have been sitting for a while so maybe they gathered dust n crap? :think:
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:28 pm

had it sitting on the bench and after 2 hours of the domino going in i could see the colour and what not seeping out of the domino. looked very interesting. eventually after a day or so i saw sediment
WTDist

Return to Oaking and Aging