Oak Essense

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oak Essense

Postby WTDist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:03 am

Im wondering if anyone has made their own oak additive. I had a thought this morning. I was wondering how it would go if i got 1L of 70% hearts from a neutral run and added a shit load of oak staves, way more than usual to extract a lot of oak fast, not great process but a fast way.

I was reading in another thread about honey bourbon it was mentioned about adding the honey in the boiler with the run and this gave it a big honey flavour with minimal honey added rather than the ferment time adding honey.

So i was wondering how it would go by adding in an undetermined amount of heavily oaked neutral would this come through in the final product making it a white bourbon with the oak flavour but without the mellowing out process that happens over time on oak. I would imagine it would need to be a good harsh hearts cut not to get tails or heads in.

Thoughts anyone?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Oak Essense

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Haha, I feel sorry for your brain dude! You make it work for its keep! Kudos to ya for it. Solid theory but I don't see the advantage? Oak is only a single component of a good brown spirit.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby WTDist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:21 pm

was prob that white dog JD they sold a lil while back that made me think of it, or still do, dunno.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Did something similar when i was playing with rum oils. Had a bottle of heavily oaked and rum oil tasting rum. Was using that to flavour white dog in varying amounts to see if i liked the heavy tastes the oils give it... it was literaly black still have a little left but not sure it will get used, moving away from that flavour profile..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Oaking and Aging