Heat aging

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Heat aging

Postby WTDist » Wed May 11, 2016 7:32 am

JamieC wrote:
WTDist wrote:Taz; are they a container that heats to a certain temp for a certain period of time? both able to be set? did a small google earlier but not an in depth one.

This is what i did last night, ABV 70% about 2 months aged already then 4 hours at 60*c and then 3 hours this morning at 50*c. Taste nice at the moment with coke and mineral water
2016-05-08 20.17.36.jpg

Nice temp controller. I am presently building a current controller for the boiler.

Yea, i think it cost about $25 all up to build with cable glands. didnt feel like paying too much for the box, was about $3.

Controller i build was about 80 plus a couple bottles for a mate to check it. You could use the 2 together to mash and convert starch for whisky. Not beer though, not as accurate as a PID but good for whisky
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby JamieC » Fri May 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Pulled it out of the slow cooker this arvo and diluted down to 40%. I had pulled the silicone seals from the jars when concerns were raised. I did test them at ambient temp at high abv and was happy, but didn't test them under temperature so thanks for the heads up guys. Results are, its better. But I can still smell essence. It was TPW vodka aged on Tennesse chips, Edwards essence added and heat cycled for a week. It smells better than the baseline sample for sure but its no Gentleman Jacks. Not by a long shot. I havent bothered tasting as I have had a few beers and prob no point. Bring on the CFW to try.
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Postby WTDist » Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 am

Try using the chunks, or dominoes rather than the chips. The chunks are better by far :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging