Do you remove oak when bottling some?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Do you remove oak when bottling some?

Postby robduca » Mon May 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Hey guys,

If you are ageing say 4L of a whiskey on oak, and you take off a couple of bottles worth, are people taking out some oak if you plan on leaving it for a while longer before getting to the rest of it or just leaving the lot in there?

I found about 600ml 65% Macwhisky left in a demi that has been on oak since Jan 15. Just filtering it now to free up a demi. I removed half of the oak in there back in August, when I took a bit out, but not sure if it is neccesary? Don't want to over oak.

Cheers
Rob
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Re: Do you remove oak when bottling some?

Postby WTDist » Mon May 09, 2016 2:07 pm

If you plan to take some out and leave it a long time longer, yea take some out although if your like me i have 3L jars. I take a bottle (1l or 1.75l bottle) out one at a time and water that down and the stuff left in my jar i just leave. Its lucky to last the week :shifty: doesnt make much difference over a week but a few months, i would take some out.

Do you know the weight of the oak and original g/l? and how much is there now? last time i took some out i just sawed off an approximate amount of what i thought should come off the domino
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby robduca » Mon May 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Nah I cant remember how much oak went in. I think It was my first or second run of Macwhiskey, and I think I went with something like 20g/L. I took out about half of what was in there. I have to split the dominos to fit in the neck, so just took out half the sticks.
I only use around 12g/L now
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Postby wil » Mon May 09, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi robduca I had the same senario where I had about 3.5L 65% on oak for about 3-4 months & had taken off a few bottles worth & didn't take any oak out & left it for a few more months before I bottled more up. Anyway I gave a bottle to my Brother who said it had a not so pleasant taste to it :puke-huge: :scared-eek: . I then had a stress attack worrying that I had done something wrong with my whole process :crying-blue: .As it turned out when I had pondered a while longer, that lot of whiskey was the only one that had the strange taste so I worked it out I had left all the oak in it & over the next few months had over oaked it I believe. :angry-banghead: so I then went through a number of rum & whiskey demijohns emptying them to reasses the amount of oak in them. I now make adjustments as I go now which is reasonbly easy as I split the oak dominos so they fit back out the opening after they swell.
cheers
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:07 pm

G'Day All
I use whisky chips and I leave it for no less than 1 month and aim for 2 and more but I have never left it for 3. By the sound of it the 2 months is about right, or did you just water it down when you over oaked it or added some to the next lot.
Cheersbigears
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby wil » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Hey cheersbigears. More time on American Oak is fine & favourable but a max of aprox 15g/L. As it turned out it was only one or two bottles so no problem but a good lesson learned. it had a strong almost bitter taste hard to describe. however he said it all got drank but he does enjoy it with a splash of water, but had to mix it with coke instead.
cheers
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Return to Oaking and Aging