Visited a couple of coopers today

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Visited a couple of coopers today

Postby sparkydan » Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Was checking out small barrels for sale and the fella gave me some white oak peices , he showed me the barrels the off cuts were from, apparently there aged canadian whiskey one's. How would everyone else use them ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkydan

equipment: copper pot still with thumper

Re: Visited a couple of coopers today

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Thu May 26, 2016 11:39 pm

I'd slice them into matchsticks.

Just kidding.

I'm a bourbon drinker, so I'd make various batches of bourbons and test the sticks out to see what flavour profiles come through with different mashes. But if your after answers on what YOU should do with them, make a mash of your choice and put them to the test!

So where did we happen to stumble across these Canadian whiskey staves?
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby sparkydan » Thu May 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Barossa Valley south aus is where i got them . Pritty mych what i had in mind. The cooper told me not to sand the char off and re char them just to cut them to size . Would u agree?
sparkydan

equipment: copper pot still with thumper

Postby bayshine » Thu May 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Soak some booze in them :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's hard to tell mate but are they new charred oak or is it left overs from second hand barrels :think:
Second hand oak from say.. Bourbon barrels will give some quick flavour to neutral spirit
But if you're making real rum or corn whiskey spirit then you would be better off with some new oak whether it's toasted or charred is up to personal taste.
Long term scotch or Irish is usually on second hand oak as not to impart to much oak flavour but more to mellow the spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And if it's new oak I'd apply it to 65/abv spirit at about 14grams per litre
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Fri May 27, 2016 12:28 am

^ :text-+1:

If I was to buy used barrel staves, I wouldn't sand them back. It defeats the purpose of buying used opposed to new. You purposely buy used staves to infuse some of the characteristics of what lingers from the past spirits. Ie: a lot of whiskey manufacturers these days buy used bourbon barrels to (as Bay said) mellow and infuse flavors. Many rum producers use port barrels to get acquired flavor profiles. And most bourbon manufacturers use new charred and toasted oak.

It's one of the more rewarding situations coming across used barrels, you personally get to test it all out :happy-partydance:

If your still unsure, watch some videos on the old YouTube from companies such as Laphroaig, Canadian club, makers Mark etc. They generally steer clear of talking about their stills, but go in depth about the barreling processes and where they aquire their barrels and why.
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Return to Oaking and Aging