How long can i go?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: How long can i go?

Postby EziTasting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Sam. wrote:This might help

Well ... sort of. It answers it but doesn't :teasing-tease: if that makes sense. Guess I was looking for something more 'concrete' - When your new and learning, you want hard and fast rules you can stick to, but I'm finding that its more about understanding, time and practice than rules... ~x(

Wish I had more time to play and learn!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby WTDist » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:54 pm

lol unless your in your 60's i think you have tme to play and learn

and if you are i didnt day anything :teasing-neener:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby coffe addict » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Alot of the aging process comes down to personal preference. When I was trying to find my feet every time I filled a demi I put varying amounts of oak at varying degrees of toast. Everything labeled. Regular tasting evenings with my girl and we become my worst critic... We will continue this process until we have made the perfect rum, scotch and gin!

Fingers crossed we don't accidentally discover the best spirit the world has ever seen anytime soon!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Hehe no, not 60s yet! Mental age is somewhere between 17 and 22, stopped counting chronological age before I turned 40!

SWMBO and I run 4 businesses with 6 team members... It gets busy!

But, this weekend is gonna be some distilling time of some test batches (well for us anyway). Also going to grind and boil some corn for our 2nd Appalician Moonshine. God willing it'll be better than last time! :))

Was looking for some time saving ideas... CHEATER! :naughty:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Sam. wrote:This might help

Well ... sort of. It answers it but doesn't :teasing-tease: if that makes sense. Guess I was looking for something more 'concrete' - When your new and learning, you want hard and fast rules you can stick to, but I'm finding that its more about understanding, time and practice than rules... ~x(

Exactly mate, the newbie corner is a part of this forum for a reason. Once the fundamentals are learnt then it is easy to delve into the other things.

But at the end of the day this hobby is so diverse and there are so many options then you just need to do what works for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging