single plate mcrum

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

single plate mcrum

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 pm

hey guys this thread very well may make it to newbies corner but till then please hear me out. I want to share my experience with my mcrum and although being new to distilling i am not new to the nectar that our good lord gave us known as rum. I have produced thus far a shit tonne of double distilled hearts always watered down to 65% for ageing. only reason i've taken the time to write this bullshit is that i've found by absolute chance messing around the key to great rum. I found as beautiful as it was hearts mcrum at some point lacked the flavor that my still produced at the upper to middle hearts on the single distill (strip) run. ive collected so much hearts added the feints back to the strip runs to add flavor as directed from this forum. what i have gathered thus far is beautiful. I strip my gear steal about 700ml from the middle of my strip run add that to my barrel then keep collecting down to 40% (used to be 30%) then collect that to run as a spirit run. I'm sure my yield is much lower cause of the stolen product but i've found when i blend my 60+% first run gear from the barrel with my ageing hearts run gear at 65% i've found the perfect blend of rum using mcrum it is so full of flavor with the tad of bite found from single run gear. I know that all stills are different but i'm sure that one plate with wire mesh is really good for producing quality rum. look forward to reply's
Maritsio2016

equipment: 4"4 Plate FSD Bubbler, 2x packed sections, 50L milk can with 2x 2400W elements

Re: single plate mcrum

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:56 pm

Bit confused were does the the single plate come in? You are using an airstill correct? Adding feints to next run is a great way to get flavour going though. Have you tried doing gens yet also grwat flavour. Adding late tails into next spirit run adds good flavour to but found it a bit manky and ott. Needs plenty of time on oak i reakon.

I reakon you must be pretty commited to tough it out with an airstill. I had a small pot still and ditched it after one lot.
No matter what your using it always good to hear from another rum lover :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:58 pm

I see it mentions a 4" hybrid pot :-B
Although where does this single.plate come in?

As for collecting to 30 or 40%, go as low as 20% man. get those.late tails.like bluc mentioned :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Apart from that im a bit confused what your trying to.say
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:07 am

Sorry guys ive been running 4" fsd pot still with a couple of other stainless parts with one FSD 4" bubble plate sight glass. Have got a 50L milk can on the way just hasn't arrived yet making do with the t500 boiler for now. Havn't used the airstill for about 6 months need to remove that from settings.
Maritsio2016

equipment: 4"4 Plate FSD Bubbler, 2x packed sections, 50L milk can with 2x 2400W elements

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:12 am

WTDist wrote:I see it mentions a 4" hybrid pot :-B
Although where does this single.plate come in?

As for collecting to 30 or 40%, go as low as 20% man. get those.late tails.like bluc mentioned :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Apart from that im a bit confused what your trying to.say

Hi i found the power used compared to the return on the lower tails is not necessary in my circumstance as yes the best flavor is in the tails but as i keep doing gens up to 6 and adding my endless amounts of feints to the gens on the strip run I'm finding that i dont need to go past 40% on the strip as its so full of the good stuff already.
Maritsio2016

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:22 am

All in all what I'm trying to say is my still puts out about 80% in the hearts spirit run which is beautiful but ive found if i steal the middle part of my strip run ( bout 68 to 58ish %) approx 700ml and add that to my hearts on oak it's the ku deta! every still is different but this really works nice for me.
Maritsio2016

Postby EziTasting » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:50 am

Maritsio,
Can you describe this flavour? Does it taste like a Rum you've had?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:43 am

EziTasting wrote:Maritsio,
Can you describe this flavour? Does it taste like a Rum you've had?

Hey bud hard to describe if i was to compare it to anything commercial i'd say it would be close to the small batch bundy. I'm sure my barrel would be adding some sweet flavor as well as its had everything from port to Bundy in it before i started distilling.
Maritsio2016

Postby JamieC » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Liking this discussion. I have 20L feints on the go at any time now between TPW and CFW. was thinking of doing a big run of feints in the next couple of weeks, but will be refluxed as they are 4 gens old. Havent tried rum yet, but it is on the list.
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Return to Oaking and Aging