Ginger Schnapps

All flavoring discussions go here.

Ginger Schnapps

Postby reknaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm

A couple of months ago I did a fair few different Schnapps, one that has really caught my attention just from the smell alone is the ginger. It smells amazing, yet to do the taste test though.

Just cut up a piece of fresh ginger and throw in your neutral, leave it for say three months and it's good to go. Leave it in a cool dark spot to infuse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Re: Ginger Schnapps

Postby reknaw » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 am

neutral is 40% vodka, you can do it with nearly any fruit, ie dragon fruit, cherries, plums etc. With those types of fruit you need a lot more of the fruit. Things like ginger, chilles etc you don't need a lot. (chillies go maybe 2 hot chillies per 5 ltrs for say a week or two max unless you like a lot of heat)

Chillies is an intersting one the heat ina drink is kind of hard to describe - it's also a bit of a novelty, the mother in law had a funny look of anticipation on her face when she first tried it.( I should of video taped it) :)
reknaw

Postby Kra$h » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Why not boil the intended amount of water to be added to the undiluted neutral your starting with (maybe a tad more to make up for any lost in steam),
add the wanted amount of ginger, grated finely,
Immediately turn heat down till simmering / no longer boiling,
Steep 15 minutes, take off heat, allow to cool then strain,
Add to neutral.

Basically adding ginger-infused water to neutral.
Takes 30 minutes rather than 3 months.

If a sweeter, thicker version was wanted, one could even reheat the ginger infused water, add in enough sugar to achieve a syrupy texture (taking into account how much neutral you will be adding it to, and adjusting thickness accordingly)

Just wondering. :think:
(I was planning to use this recipe i just provided, and now im wondering the benefits of doing it your way)
Kra$h

equipment: Keggomax CM Reflux Still - 5 stainless steel scrubbers - 1 copper scrubber up top.
30Litre - 2000 watt 'Turbo' Boiler
1000L/H Submersible Water Pump (Adjustable)
1000 litre tank for cooling

Using standard Birdwatchers TPW
1 x 25 litre batch
1 x 100 litre batch

Small batch for drinking, big batch (intending) to run a 1.5 cc lancer with a modified 32/36 weber carby.

Postby WTDist » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 pm

There is some learning to do here. ethanol is a solvent and extracts much more than boiling water can achieve. if i want to bring out a flavour i will use 90% ethanol not water. this is also why we dont use plastic as ethanol will strip the plastics chemucals
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Kra$h » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am

fair call
Kra$h

equipment: Keggomax CM Reflux Still - 5 stainless steel scrubbers - 1 copper scrubber up top.
30Litre - 2000 watt 'Turbo' Boiler
1000L/H Submersible Water Pump (Adjustable)
1000 litre tank for cooling

Using standard Birdwatchers TPW
1 x 25 litre batch
1 x 100 litre batch

Small batch for drinking, big batch (intending) to run a 1.5 cc lancer with a modified 32/36 weber carby.

Return to Flavoring