Jack Daniels

All flavoring discussions go here.

Jack Daniels

Postby charliez » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:38 am

Hi I was wondering which company has the best essence for Jack Daniels I saw top dog is it any good please

regards
charlie
charliez

equipment: pure still reflux

Re: Jack Daniels

Postby Otago Elvis » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:58 am

Mate, I've heard a few blokes talk up the JD wood chips you get from the HBS.

This stuff https://www.esbrewing.com.au/spirits-un ... chips.html

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Otago Elvis

equipment: Potstill

Postby loveitfree » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:55 pm

https://www.esbrewing.com.au/catalog/pr ... egory/125/
This is the JD essence as close as I found. Just use a really clean neutral. The taste is nearly exact.
loveitfree

equipment: No more essencia lol
FSD Neutraliser and 50l milkcan.

Postby warramungas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 am

loveitfree wrote:https://www.esbrewing.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/87/s/still-spirits-classic-tennessee-bourbon/category/125/
This is the JD essence as close as I found. Just use a really clean neutral. The taste is nearly exact.

I like this too. Wouldn't say its exact as I don't like JD but I like this.
I lightly oak some neutral first and blend down a bit lighter. More like 3-3.5 liters going by flavor. At around $15 a sachet I try to get my bang for buck out of it.
Give it at least a few days to a week before you bother tasting it though as it needs a little time to meld with the spirit and you'll taste bugger all in the first few days. Love the smell of this one too.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby ultra » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:59 pm

JD BBQ smoking wood chips work a treat. Best results.....leave them soaking for 4-6 weeks......around the 5 week mark they start performing really well. Then you can reuse if you want but I just dry them out and use them on the bbq for smoking beef ribs!
ultra

equipment: yet to buy.....was using a German made 35ltr reflux still.....but moved countries.

Postby Pedro1970 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:14 pm

I was given a recipe for Gentleman Jacks at a local HBS... I found it a little too sweet for my liking but others I gave it to loved it... but they were mixing it with coke :angry-banghead:
2 boxes (4 sachets) Still Spirits Classic Tennessee Bourbon and 1x 50ml bottle of Tennessee Sour mash (can't remember the brand but the bottle has a picture of a bourbon barrel on it).

I ended up soaking 5lts of clean neutral with a couple of packs of so called genuine JD bourbon barrel chunks for about 2 months and then added 1 box & 1 bottle and found it much more to my liking... the addition of using oaked neutral really helped impart a good flavour imho
Pedro1970

equipment: FSD Mac 4" SSG
FSD 2"Boka
FSD 50Ltr boiler

Postby Shaun » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:35 pm

I use the SS Classic Tennessee Bourbon, haven't tried any wood chips and i do drink mine with coke, i just mix 1 sachet in 1.125ml neutral and stick it in the freezer for a week.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby Pedro1970 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:01 am

Pedro1970 wrote:I was given a recipe for Gentleman Jacks at a local HBS... I found it a little too sweet for my liking but others I gave it to loved it... but they were mixing it with coke :angry-banghead:
** for a 5 litre batch -- 2 boxes (4 sachets) Still Spirits Classic Tennessee Bourbon and 1x 50ml bottle of Tennessee Sour mash (can't remember the brand but the bottle has a picture of a bourbon barrel on it).

I ended up soaking 5lts of clean neutral with a couple of packs of so called genuine JD bourbon barrel chunks for about 2 months and then added 1 box & 1 bottle and found it much more to my liking... the addition of using oaked neutral really helped impart a good flavour imho
Pedro1970

equipment: FSD Mac 4" SSG
FSD 2"Boka
FSD 50Ltr boiler

Postby Whita » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:02 pm

** for a 5 litre batch -- 2 boxes (4 sachets) Still Spirits Classic Tennessee Bourbon and 1x 50ml bottle of Tennessee Sour mash (can't remember the brand but the bottle has a picture of a bourbon barrel on it).[/quote][/quote]

The bottle you could be thinking of is Prestige Tennessee Whiskey
Whita

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Justillit » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:46 am

Whita wrote:** for a 5 litre batch -- 2 boxes (4 sachets) Still Spirits Classic Tennessee Bourbon and 1x 50ml bottle of Tennessee Sour mash (can't remember the brand but the bottle has a picture of a bourbon barrel on it).
[/quote]

The bottle you could be thinking of is Prestige Tennessee Whiskey[/quote]

Try this, genuine stuff http://keithemms.com/product/jack-bourb ... -flavours/
Justillit

equipment: T500 Reflux and Alembic Pot

Return to Flavoring