Banana liqueur - winner!

All flavoring discussions go here.

Re: Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:32 am

Well its finished ' yea not bad ' now to test it on the single mun down the street :razz: [worthless even at 200 %proof if possible to try it here ]
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Not to scientific how do ya know a glass of water wouldn't work on the single mum
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Come on crow you have seen me i think it would take more than a glass of water to get somebody to show interest :)) :oops:
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Well I had all the ladies lined up for some of my banana on Friday night...more bad puns and innuendo than you could "poke a stick at" :-)

"So who wants some of my banana? Can I tempt you with some of my banana? You know the ladies can't get enough of my banana"...

The drunker they got, the smuttier the innuendos got.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Yes i know what you mean i took some to my old work break up every body liked it and all wanted a bottle fuck off this takes time and money
Aussiedownunder01

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I've got four bunches of damn nice bananas going to waist here at the moment.

So decided to give this recipe a go.

Banana vodka.JPG

Litre and a half of 50% and four bananas.
:D :D

Wonder how it will turn out.... well Monday should tell. :D
Will add the rest of the ingredients then.

DBV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Mate this will knock your socks off. Just get good maple and vanilla and a shot of this ice cold and you're on a winner promise.

Let me know how you find it.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:43 am

So I looked at the banana pieces being soaked in the raw spirit this morning and they are all floating.

Thought "Wonder if all the banana flavour is out or is there still some in the pieces"
Tried a slice Don't ever try this....
YUK - damn that tasted crap. :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

No banana flavour left in it whatsoever.
Now have fresh slices in and will see how it goes by this afternoon.

From now on, as soon as it floats - it's out.

The spirit tastes great BTW
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
Ahhhh banana liqueur at 7am... eeeeehhhhh don't try this at home kids.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:58 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:So I looked at the banana pieces being soaked in the raw spirit this morning and they are all floating.

Thought "Wonder if all the banana flavour is out or is there still some in the pieces"

No banana flavour left in it whatsoever.
Now have fresh slices in and will see how it goes by this afternoon.

From now on, as soon as it floats - it's out.

The spirit tastes great BTW
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
Ahhhh banana liqueur at 7am... eeeeehhhhh don't try this at home kids.

DBV

At that point ism making sure I shake the jar vigorously twice a day to extract every bit of sugar and flavour from the fruit for another few days. But yeah that fruit would taste pretty rough!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm

So here it is after a few days.... Sunday to Tuesday.
And one change of bananas, plus some vanilla beans thrown it for good measure.

THIS STUFF IS INCREDIBLE !!!!!!

Banana vodka (2).JPG

Was just about to add the sugar syrup, thought I'd just try it first....
It didn't need sweetening, there was plenty of sugars in the bananas and the flavour is just brilliant.

I strained it through the reinforced paper towel you get for kitchens... about a dozen times until it flowed through without blocking up.
Mate... :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Five star booze.

This goes onto the list of "must never run out of".

DBV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogbreath vodka

Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Glad you like it! Yeah it's pretty popular party juice round my place even with people who don't like banana.

Wait until you mix it with home made kahlua or mailbu.

I like it because it's really unique - people just won't find anything like this at the local bottle shop.

You might find some disgusting artificial banana essence schnapps knock off but this is the real deal.

And easy as pie to make.

Anyway, glad it worked out well for you.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby dungee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:46 am

Tried this, something went wrong with mine, used 50% spirit, soaked bananas 3 days, strained, more bananas for 3 days, filtered, bit of maple syrup, sugar and vanilla. Tasted and smelt like rotten bananas. I did use really nice bananas in the mix? Maybe I left them in there for too long or was 50% too strong?

I'll tip in back in my next wash and redistill I suppose. I'm keen to get this right. Bananas and alcohol, two of my favourite things.
dungee

equipment: T500 kit from HBS.

Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:57 am

dungee wrote:Tried this, something went wrong with mine, used 50% spirit, soaked bananas 3 days, strained, more bananas for 3 days, filtered, bit of maple syrup, sugar and vanilla. Tasted and smelt like rotten bananas. I did use really nice bananas in the mix? Maybe I left them in there for too long or was 50% too strong?

I'll tip in back in my next wash and redistill I suppose. I'm keen to get this right. Bananas and alcohol, two of my favourite things.

50% should be fine - did you have a lot of head space? Possibly the bananas were exposed to too much oxygen? Did you shake the jar every day?

It does have a strong banana smell but it should not smell rotten. I've left mine 7 days before and never had a problem.

How good was the neutral you used?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Konzo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:47 am

I am going to try this for sure ... but I might try it with dried bananas and see what happens :-)
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 pm

catcher wrote:I am going to try this for sure ... but I might try it with dried bananas and see what happens :-)

Might I hazard a guess that it will have a slight chemical flavour? The banana chips always taste processed to me. I look forward to your experiment but I don't reckon you can beat a banana that's over ripe (the kind you'd use for banana bread).
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Konzo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:59 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
catcher wrote:I am going to try this for sure ... but I might try it with dried bananas and see what happens :-)

Might I hazard a guess that it will have a slight chemical flavour? The banana chips always taste processed to me. I look forward to your experiment but I don't reckon you can beat a banana that's over ripe (the kind you'd use for banana bread).

Lol yeah cause that's when they are packed with sugar :-) We used to have tonnes when we baked Banana Bread ...... mmmmm yum
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby dungee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 pm

I had a fair bit of headspace but the bananas were submerged most of the time. I shook the jars twice daily. Spirit tastes OK with other essence however it was my first batch so I have nothing to compare it with. It's not the end of the world. I have a TPW ready to distill this weekend, I'll try the bananas again, this time not leave them in for so long before tasting and reduce the head space.
dungee

equipment: T500 kit from HBS.

Postby tipsy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:35 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:So I looked at the banana pieces being soaked in the raw spirit this morning and they are all floating.

Well I took this as a challenge :teasing-tease: and yep, not real nice.
Looking forward to removing the second batch of bananas tonight and having a taste.
Got some fresh vanilla beans so I might give one a soak.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby greenguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:51 pm

This gives me a excuse to make my first TPW off i go
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Banana liqueur - winner!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 pm

How did you look at those black manky nanas and decide "yep I'll have a nibble on that"

Ewwwww.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Flavoring