Home made rum essences (bundy)

All flavoring discussions go here.

Home made rum essences (bundy)

Postby rumby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Does anyone have a successful homemade recipe for rum (close to bundy).

I have tried a recipe using golden syrup and one using mollasses. Shithouse. The bloddy HBS are currently getting my money.

I have seen that little stove top device, but unsure.

I have tried pot stilling (with an empty colum and producing something a bit sugar caney)
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Re: Home made rum essences (bundy)

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Have you tried doing a proper molasses wash for a full bodied rum?

I dont know how to make an essence to flavor a neutral for rum, but pot stilling a proper rum wash is something I do a lot of with pretty good results.

My latest full molasses wash with no sugar is turning out pretty good, a bit more taste and bite than my usual rum, but still very nice.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Im pretty fond of a Bundy to Rumby, What ever the critics say it is a unique rum and and I love the stuff. ;) Ive been experimenting with a few things from HBS but cant find anything that even remotely tastes like the real thing. You might find the following link interesting regarding what gives Bundy its unique flavor. http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... ?f=5&t=175
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby rumby » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks SBB. Will look into. I am using a HBS essence (that they make themselves) all my friends & family, that only drink Bundy, are really enjoying this mix. I find when I have a bundy rum, the first two have that very distinstive taste, but after that, it tastes the same as mine, give it a go. HBS located in Brisbane.

McStill, I have run a mollasses run through my controlled reflux still, with 96 % of the packing removed, however as I am using an element, I cant get the temperature down, and it stills comes off at 80 %. I did seperate some cuts, but wasnt really happy with the taste, still really caney & sweet. I had been discussing this with Spud, who said I probably need gas, so I can turn the temperature down after it takes off. but my boiler has a built in element (an old molloy boiler with legs)I just put down a mollasses wash on the weekend, 12l Mollasses, 4 kg raw sugar. Not sure if I run it at full reflux, which still gives off a tiny mollasses smell in the neutral.

I want to get into the mollases wash, but I havent been having any luck.
rumby

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:08 am

rumby wrote:
McStill, I have run a mollasses run through my controlled reflux still, with 96 % of the packing removed, however as I am using an element, I cant get the temperature down, and it stills comes off at 80 %. I did seperate some cuts, but wasnt really happy with the taste, still really caney & sweet. I had been discussing this with Spud, who said I probably need gas, so I can turn the temperature down after it takes off. but my boiler has a built in element (an old molloy boiler with legs)I just put down a mollasses wash on the weekend, 12l Mollasses, 4 kg raw sugar. Not sure if I run it at full reflux, which still gives off a tiny molasses smell in the neutral.

I want to get into the molasses wash, but I haven't been having any luck.

Building a good rum takes a while to get right, but it is a fairly simple process.

I use a plated column to distill rum now but used to just use a simple pot still with pretty good results, when I was using a proper pot still I would strip the wash and add the hot dunder back to the next. Adding dunder back at about 25% of the total wash volume gave me the results I was looking for but this can be adjusted to suit your taste.

So, you keep stripping wash and adding dunder back for about 5 generations using the same yeast bed in the fermenter, using the hot dunder each time to invert your sugar, then once you get enough low wines you do a spirit run.... to make it taste a bit more like a bundy rum if that's what you want (a bit of sting) you just probably dont have to be so tight on cuts, when I taste bundy rum I get a very obvious heads and tails taste.

All bundy rum is distilled twice without re using dunder, they strip the wash @ 53% then run the low wines again at about 80% and watered back to 67% for aging for two years. The color of bundy is adjusted with caramel to achieve the final product for bottling. Bundy rum does not re use any dunder at all, they send it off to be processed as fertilizer.

So if your after a really headsy rum like bundy I'd probably look at making a cheap pot still head for your boiler, and be fairly liberal with your cuts. ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:52 am

rumby wrote:Thanks SBB. Will look into. I am using a HBS essence (that they make themselves) all my friends & family, that only drink Bundy, are really enjoying this mix. I find when I have a bundy rum, the first two have that very distinstive taste, but after that, it tastes the same as mine, give it a go. HBS located in Brisbane.

McStill, I have run a mollasses run through my controlled reflux still, with 96 % of the packing removed, however as I am using an element, I cant get the temperature down, and it stills comes off at 80 %. I did seperate some cuts, but wasnt really happy with the taste, still really caney & sweet. I had been discussing this with Spud, who said I probably need gas, so I can turn the temperature down after it takes off. but my boiler has a built in element (an old molloy boiler with legs)I just put down a mollasses wash on the weekend, 12l Mollasses, 4 kg raw sugar. Not sure if I run it at full reflux, which still gives off a tiny mollasses smell in the neutral.

I want to get into the mollases wash, but I havent been having any luck.

On a side note, this is my favourite spirit to drink of all my stock. Bacardi drinkers love it too.

Mollases wash run of as neutral at 95+ and cut to 51% (overproof), mix with lemonade and fruit juice in thirds.

The secret to good dark rum is long aging on oak (over 12 months) ;)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby rumby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Thankyou gents.

I am just trying a rum I made from 4/5 TP neutral wash, essence and oak, which I mixed with 1/5 of the orignal mollases run which I pot stilled and been sitting in a corner,this mollasses run has been sitting on chared oak for 3-4months ( I nearly tipped it down the sink 3-4months ago). WOW. It has a nice heavy rum taste, very impressed. As you experienced blokes said, potstill it and let it sit 4-6moths or even longer.

I will still run the old neutral run & mix essence to get me through the 6months oaking period, but it sounds like, there might be no reason to go the local HBS for any stilling requirements, just beer requirements.

It is nice to start to see the light at the end of the long tunnel.

I stopped at Dan's this arvo(rare bottle shop stop) to grap a bottle of the new bundy five (white rum), sold out, but manage to see a bottle of the watermark rum, which was released after the floods, wont drink it for a long time, will look good on the future bar, with all the other special rums releases that Dan Murphy put out a few times a year.
rumby

Postby tomm292 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 am

I have made way too much neutral , and i was thinking of putting some in with the rum wash. Is this feasible , or a waste of time ? Just thought i might get more rum that way. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
tomm292

equipment: 8gal reflux

Postby jacobraven » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:21 am

Welcome :/ no a reflux still strips flavour.
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:54 am

Why don't you pop into the welcome centre and inteoduce yourself mate?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to Flavoring