flavoured vodka

All flavoring discussions go here.

Re: flavoured vodka

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 pm

looks like a kind of liminchello to me I have had the skin no pith soaking of 30 lemons soaking in 40 % for months :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

i love reading everything you post doc
always wonderful explanations and innovative ideas.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:looks like a kind of liminchello to me I have had the skin no pith soaking of 30 lemons soaking in 40 % for months :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate Limoncello is a very different beast...firstly it has more sugar in it than Coca Cola. And it is made in vodka as opposed to extraction as an azeotrope tincture...the taste, the mouth feel and the look of the product are totally different...Limoncello is delicious, but very sweet compared to a tincture based citrus vodka which is dryer, lighter and has a base acidity which makes it more of a summer refresher... while I love limoncello as an insulin dependent diabetic I rarely get to drink it.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby APLF » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Thx Doc for the info,
As mentioned I used to make lime vodka in the way that I explained in previous post but I was doing it from various tips I collected along the way as a newby to pot distilling. Unfortunately I gave away my book of notes when I sold my previous still and cant recall the exact measurements I was using for amount of lime to vodka ratio. It was about 8 or so years ago and the memory has waned. I also used the juice from the limes with the grated lime skin. I also used to use around 90% vodka to soak the lime in before putting through the potstill. I will try the higher strength vodka to improve flavour/oil extraction. My question is, have you found a ratio of limes whether by number of limes or by kg that you add to a certain amount of vodka? From memory I used to add the grated skin and juice from roughly 2 shopping bags full of limes to 20ltrs of vodka @ 90% then dilute into 50ltr boiler for pot distillation. The end product was quite tasty and I have just acquired a big bucket of limes from a mates tree and want to do more batches of lime vodka. Any tips would be appreciated. Thankyou for your wisdom.
APLF

equipment: 50lt SS boiler with reflux and pot attachments

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:30 am

My question is, have you found a ratio of limes whether by number of limes or by kg that you add to a certain amount of vodka? From memory I used to add the grated skin and juice from roughly 2 shopping bags full of limes to 20ltrs of vodka @ 90% then dilute into 50ltr boiler for pot distillation. The end product was quite tasty and I have just acquired a big bucket of limes from a mates tree and want to do more batches of lime vodka. Any tips would be appreciated. Thankyou for your wisdom.

I do most tinctures by gut feel in terms of the ratios, as the volume required is determined by a number of variables...such as have the citrus been in cold storage, especially frost free cold storage which is a very efficient menas of desiccating and drying the skin, in this case you will need more by weight...

Lets use oranges as an example
my starting point is 16 Kilograms of oranges to 10 liters of Azeotrope..to make a tincture...anything less is in my opinion a cordial...remember you only want the essential flavour and top be able to use it in small quantities It wants to be a bright almost flourescent orange when done...you will find that fresh fruit requires a lot less than stored fruit. The oils are stronger.

Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:23 pm

2years ago I put down a 10L keg of %95, with the skin of about 30 lemons. I checked it just before Christmas and the lemon skin has completely dissolved. Gonesky. And the liquid now has a browny yellow colour. Would this be classed as an infused vodka or a lemon whisky?
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 pm

I think it safe to say that is lemon whiskey..let us know how it tastes.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Hey Doc, the Lemon Whisky is bloody nice( IMHO). Didn't know how it'd go being legged at %95, but it has worked well me thinks. Next time I'm around New England way I'll drop you a bottle.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Potmash Boka wrote:Hey Doc, the Lemon Whisky is bloody nice( IMHO). Didn't know how it'd go being legged at %95, but it has worked well me thinks. Next time I'm around New England way I'll drop you a bottle.

I must admit it sounds like it could work very well... I look forward to trying it...did you have it on oak mate or in glass.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Had it an old port keg, that's been used once before for a port barrel whisky.
Potmash Boka

Postby the Doctor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:25 am

Potmash Boka wrote:Had it an old port keg, that's been used once before for a port barrel whisky.

Nice mate...that should be smooth as.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby thegoose » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi guys
I have just completed and tested a kaffir lime leaf version of Docs tincture method, I used about 15 lime leaves soaked in 95% for four hours until they turned white. Then added 100g of stevia in filtered water, the colour and flavour and mouth feel is sensational, thanks Doc for taking the time to share this method very easy with great results
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegoose

equipment: Retired 2" boka
3" modular bubbler

Postby the Doctor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:27 am

thegoose wrote:Hi guys
I have just completed and tested a kaffir lime leaf version of Docs tincture method, I used about 15 lime leaves soaked in 95% for four hours until they turned white. Then added 100g of stevia in filtered water, the colour and flavour and mouth feel is sensational, thanks Doc for taking the time to share this method very easy with great results

Mate that looks and I am sure tastes beautiful...such a simple method and yet some of my favourite spirits are made this way. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby peterhobit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 am

That looks amazing. I will give it a go as well when I make my next batch of spirit.
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby APLF » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 am

thanks Doc
APLF

equipment: 50lt SS boiler with reflux and pot attachments

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 am

Love the colour is that standard lime or caffer lime leaves
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby thegoose » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Hey Aussie,
Yeah mate just standard kaffir lime leaves my neighbour has a tree
Cheers
thegoose

3" modular bubbler

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:40 am

thegoose wrote:Hey Aussie,
Yeah mate just standard kaffir lime leaves my neighbour has a tree
Cheers

Hey Goose,

Does the Kaffir flavour come through when mixed?

I've done some orange vodka before that tasted a treat with tonic and im keen to give your lime a go!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby thegoose » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Hey Woodsy
Sure does mate had some with tonic as well as lemonade at a BBQ last night everyone picked it, bloody good in a Black Russian too
thegoose

3" modular bubbler

Postby bluess57 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm

What volume did you make up with 100g of atevia to water?
Maybe post up in the recipes section would be good.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Flavoring