flavoured vodka

All flavoring discussions go here.

Re: flavoured vodka

Postby thegoose » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Hey Bluess

I used 500 ml of 95%
100g of stevia (natvia brand in tin from woolies)
625 ml total of water
15 kafir lime leaves rolled and sliced thinly

Just dissolve the stevia in 100ml of hot water with a whisk
Add 525ml of cold filtered water to that
Add to strained tincture

As for putting in a recipe that's up to the top brass maybe just putting the method in somewhere as it obviously has a pretty broad application range
Cheers
thegoose

equipment: Retired 2" boka
3" modular bubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 pm

thegoose wrote:
As for putting in a recipe that's up to the top brass maybe just putting the method in somewhere as it obviously has a pretty broad application range
Cheers

Mate make a new thread in this recipe development section and it may make its way to the tried and proven someday :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby peterhobit » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:44 am

I would love this to become a thread, I would prefer not to buy any flavors, wold love to just have recipes for tinctures (and bitters) in the tried and trusted section.
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby peterhobit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 am

Made up some tinctures, only have a small amount of 90%+ so doing experiments. Followed Docs suggestions.
Did orange, Kaffir lime, finger lime Lavender and Rose petals each in 50 ml of spirit. Soaked for 2 days and strained and then added 50 mls of Stevia in water.

Only problem is the Orange and Kaffir lime went milky when I added the Stevia and water. Any ideas why?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Because of the high oil content they louche.
Add more high proof spirit to it and it should go clear again.... I think.. :think:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:Because of the high oil content they louche.
Add more high proof spirit to it and it should go clear again.... I think.. :think:

DBV

:text-+1: Oil + Water = cloudiness. this is the cloudiness you want to see when making Limoncello
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 pm

"louching"

desirable in some spirits, yet not in others ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Milky » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 pm

This thread is really bloody interesting. Thanks everybody for making it a great read. I can't wait get to try some of these methods when I can use my right arm again! And thanks Doc for always taking the time to explain how you do things.

You ALL have helped a bored bloke on surgery leave be entertained! Thanks.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 am

peterhobit wrote:Made up some tinctures, only have a small amount of 90%+ so doing experiments. Followed Docs suggestions.
Did orange, Kaffir lime, finger lime Lavender and Rose petals each in 50 ml of spirit. Soaked for 2 days and strained and then added 50 mls of Stevia in water.

Only problem is the Orange and Kaffir lime went milky when I added the Stevia and water. Any ideas why?

As others have explained this is natural and desirable IMHO. If you want a clear product it is far more involved but can be done...I quite like the look of the louche and have used it to dramatic effect in products such as Rose Petal vodka. If you look at our catalog you will see that the louche can add quite a nice look to the product.
Here are some examples of Louched product...The addition of stevia also set's the louche and prevents settling. Cheers
Doc

louche-lemon.jpg

louche-orange.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Rabbit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 am

This has been really interesting stuff and now I know why Ouzo goes cloudy :handgestures-thumbupleft: - I think this louche effect adds a mystique and I actually like it. If you've ever been to Greece you'll see plenty of the old men drinking their milky medecine before lunch and it seems to be doing the trick for them. They'd prob think something was wrong of it didn't louche when water was added. I'll be trying some of these tinctures - great stuff!
Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:17 am

One thing I did notice in Doc's pics of his tinctures is that he seems to have no problem with plastic lids on those jars (assume the big jar with red lid is a plastic lid, and others prob have standard plastic underside). I've been canned by more experienced members here for considering using crown seals to seal up stubbies of high strength vodka.
I'm wondering Doc's thoughts on the mater since these tinctures are soaking in azeotrope (and being inverted so it's in contact with the lid)
Cheers
Rabbit
Rabbit

Postby Brendan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:42 am

I have a few of those jars with the red lids on them...

I can just about guarantee you that those ones aren't being inverted...the lids are terrible and have trouble sealing. I would be afraid to lose my hard earned product my tipping on of those upside down :shock:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Rabbit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 am

Fair enough and don't want to hijack this and turn it into a plastic war as I'm sure it's been done to death. But the jar lids use plasicizer under the lid too. And from what I understand pure ethanol does a reasonable job dissolving that
Rabbit

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:58 am

Rabbit wrote:One thing I did notice in Doc's pics of his tinctures is that he seems to have no problem with plastic lids on those jars (assume the big jar with red lid is a plastic lid, and others prob have standard plastic underside). I've been canned by more experienced members here for considering using crown seals to seal up stubbies of high strength vodka.
I'm wondering Doc's thoughts on the mater since these tinctures are soaking in azeotrope (and being inverted so it's in contact with the lid)
Cheers
Rabbit

Inside the lid is a silicone internal lid...and I have no problem with that. I too have been shit canned for it. I just wish I knew as much about distilling as my critics. I do not enter into the plastics debate any more as there are too many people who know more than me. I just get discouraged by their brilliance.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Rabbit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 am

Silicone is used extensively by big pharma for fluid transfer and they have zero tolerance for product contamination. So me thinks that's prob not an issue. Silicon, oxygen, carbon no prob. Thanks for the response
Rabbit

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:13 am

Let's keep this thread on topic please, there are other threads to discuss the use of plastics etc :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby NotBenStiller » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm

just a quick note - don't confuse stevia and natvia
Natvia can be used spoon for spoon the same as sugar. It contains stevia and erythritol.

You can also buy stevia powder by itself some places (health food stores usually) It isn't used spoon for spoon like sugar - it comes with a tiny tiny little spoon (maybe 1/16th of a teaspoon) that equals one teaspoon of sugar sweetness. It has a mild licorice taste as well.

If you use pure stevia spoon for spoon you will end up with insanely sweet with a strong licorice flavour.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby timebomb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm

This is a very interesting thread. So if i were to make up a heap of different tinctures, then cut 50/50 with the stevia / water mix, these would then have a long shelf life? I would like to have a collection of stable tinctures to use as needed. So what are some other botanicals / herbs other than stevia and orris root that also stabilize fix a product? I think I may have to some research.
timebomb

equipment: 2" boka, 2" keg pot, stove top pot

Postby Milky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I've been waiting 4 montgs due to my surgery in my arm to try this out & finally gave it a go.
Couldn't get kaffir lime leaves so I used the skin of limes grated with a grater like Doc suggested;
Grated skin of 10 limes (No white part
Added to 500ml of 93ABV Neutral. The skin went white in 20hrs.
I then strained then filtered twice with coffee filters.
Mixed up 100g of Natvia in 500ml filtered water. Added the Lime tincture.

What I got was a delicious refreshing Vodka when mixed with lemonade. Mine louched due to oils but it looks & tastes sensational! Would love to compare this with the leaves.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398070441490.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398070460984.jpg[/attachment]
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm

That really looks good Milky, well done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Flavoring