Accidental Drambuie

All flavoring discussions go here.

Accidental Drambuie

Postby xcvator » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:47 pm

I don't have any rum to spice, so I thought, what the hell, what would happen to vodka if I used similar herbs and spices. So I took some orange zest ( used a potato peeler ) half a cinnamon stick, half a vanilla bean, some allspice, 6 whole cloves, a whole clove of aniseed, 6 black pepper corns, a wigwam from a gooses bridle, 6 raisins and dropped all that into a litre of 40% and let it sit for 4 days, giving it an occasional shake, then strained it and gave it a taste, :shock: ouch, a bit sharpish, added some sugar syrup and some glycerine, that's better, still a bit sharp, dropped a well charred french domino in along with the old half vanilla bean and left for another 5 days.

The result is :? still needs a bit of work, less orange peel mainly ( almost over powering ) a bit more sugar, a touch more glycerine, a bit more time in the bottle and I think I'll have an accidental Drambuie
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Re: Accidental Drambuie

Postby McMelloW » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:35 am

Sounds great.

My wife and I will have a go on it I hope we can get all ingredients in our country. What is a wigwam from a gooses bridle?
McMelloW

equipment: Grainfather with Alembic Potstill top

Postby tipsy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 am

I had to google it :laughing-rolling:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a+wi ... 2&ie=UTF-8
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby McMelloW » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am

Got me :handgestures-thumbupleft: But I learned a new and nice phrase :laughing-rolling:
McMelloW

equipment: Grainfather with Alembic Potstill top

Return to Flavoring