Adding Molasses to Neutral?

All flavoring discussions go here.

Adding Molasses to Neutral?

Postby GingerNinja » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi guys,

It just occurred to me that no matter how many rum essences I try, none of them quite taste good enough for me. They smell like rum, but taste like Dead Ants...I mean Taste like bourbon. :laughing-rolling:

Every essence I have says it contains molasses at a low %, so I then had a thought. "What if I was to try adding molasses to my neutral, and work from there.

Just wondering if any one has actually tried, and What are peoples thoughts behind it?

Cheers,
Ginger
GingerNinja

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with 25L boiler.
Only a basic 25L fermentor with airlock. I want to buy more soon..

Re: Adding Molasses to Neutral?

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:03 pm

Have you tried making rum out of molasses? Like a Macrum?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Have you tried making rum out of molasses? Like a Macrum?

+1 have heard you still end up with "rum" through a reflux still meaning molasses flavour carries through.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ekul » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 pm

just sub some molasses for sugar in your neutral. for every 2 kg of sugar you sub out of your recipe sub in 3L of molassess. You wont need anything for nutrients besides a little epsom either so dont worry about the tomato paste.

Then run you still with as little reflux as possible. Even if you take it off @ 95% its still going to be very rummy, nothing gets rid of that flavour.
ekul

equipment: none

Postby GingerNinja » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:42 am

ekul wrote:just sub some molasses for sugar in your neutral. for every 2 kg of sugar you sub out of your recipe sub in 3L of molassess. You wont need anything for nutrients besides a little epsom either so dont worry about the tomato paste.

Then run you still with as little reflux as possible. Even if you take it off @ 95% its still going to be very rummy, nothing gets rid of that flavour.

So, Your saying a Molasses wash will still bring through the flavour even if run through a reflux. I might need to try this. The only rum flavouring I found and don't mind would be the Still Spirits Top shelf Aussie Gold Rum, But the caramel makes me feel like I'm drinking a Snaps. Its tolerable but, its not.

I also have some Samuel Willards Rum Oak chips, which i have tried soaking on neutral, brings out a nice light tea kind of colour but the taste isn't quite there like it is lacking the molasses.

I will give a molasses wash a go and see how it works out.

In order to not run full relux on a t500 would one simply remove the packing or, just turn down the cooling water a little. or both? I usually distill with cooling outlet running at 51-52.5 degrees.
GingerNinja

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with 25L boiler.
Only a basic 25L fermentor with airlock. I want to buy more soon..

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:50 am

Mate, i make my white rum with the T500.

I strip the wash with a potstill before i put it through the reflux, but have done a couple of single runs.

Just be sure not to overfill your boiler.

Rum washes are known to puke.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Pete8686 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:05 pm

If you go down the essence path, sam willards smooth rum. Cant beat it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Postby Boardy62 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:27 pm

I had made a mcrum wash which had been run through the little pot head I have and I stuffed up when a mate was here and tried bourbon essence in (it one bottle )and it tasted like crap ( it was after that I realised it was rum wash) I then ran it through the t500 thinking it would clear it but when finished I smelled it and it had that mollases hint to it it was then I realised so I had rum essences left over and it turned out to be a great drop :happy-partydance: so it also proves that the t500 will carry over some flavour as well :dance:
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Did a molasses wash by adding 20kg of molasses onto my uj grain bed and half the sugar I normally use.

Ran it through two plates and a thumper. ( carter head)
Miles of flavour, possibly a bit too much.
Probably could have run it through three or four plates.
A little strong in flavour for me.
So it is now ageing on white oak.
Time will tell how it turns out.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby warramungas » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:45 pm

Try this.
100ml hot dunder from a molasses wash (make whatever quantity you like by scaling up).
100ml good neutral or hearts cut from the wash.
Put dunder into a glass bottle, preferably tall and slim, and wait until cool. Add the neutral and place into the fridge to settle. Let sit for a week or two. Longer the better.
Carefully syphon the essence off the solids that have settled out.
Add to 1 liter of hearts or neutral however you want to get light to dark rum. 5 - 10 ml for light (will be very light brown), 20 - 30 for medium (golden) or 50 - 60 for dark rum. My mum loves it.
Allow bottle to settle, as I will go cloudy, and either syphon or carefully filter the solids out of the bottle. Not my recipe but can't remember where I got it.
If you don't want to make a huge batch of rum for a little dunder just ferment out a miniscule wash and then boil in a pot to get the dunder.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Speedmaster71 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 am

GingerNinja wrote:Hi guys,

It just occurred to me that no matter how many rum essences I try, none of them quite taste good enough for me. They smell like rum, but taste like Dead Ants...I mean Taste like bourbon. :laughing-rolling:

Every essence I have says it contains molasses at a low %, so I then had a thought. "What if I was to try adding molasses to my neutral, and work from there.

Just wondering if any one has actually tried, and What are peoples thoughts behind it?

Cheers,
Ginger

I've use bundy wood chips as soakers and there's Jamaican rum chips you can get too. I love the results but it does depend on what type of rum you drink.
Speedmaster71

equipment: 2" Boka with a 50l Keg, 1X60 Litre fermenter, 1X 190 Litre fermenter

Postby Gavhancox » Fri May 20, 2016 8:35 am

My very first macrum I stripped it through the pot still, collected enough low wines, had a brain fart and put it through the reflux :angry-banghead: , I was spewing. Anyhow I ended up keeping the hearts, put it on oak and now 4 months later, it smells pretty good, not as heavy as the real rum but still very rummy. I'm going to knock some of it back to 40 percent and drink a bottle to see what happens...
Gavhancox

equipment: 50 lt keg with 2 elements and controller,
pot still and pure distilling reflux with 600mm extension

Postby Gavhancox » Fri May 20, 2016 8:39 am

warramungas wrote:Try this.
100ml hot dunder from a molasses wash (make whatever quantity you like by scaling up).
100ml good neutral or hearts cut from the wash.
Put dunder into a glass bottle, preferably tall and slim, and wait until cool. Add the neutral and place into the fridge to settle. Let sit for a week or two. Longer the better.
Carefully syphon the essence off the solids that have settled out.
Add to 1 liter of hearts or neutral however you want to get light to dark rum. 5 - 10 ml for light (will be very light brown), 20 - 30 for medium (golden) or 50 - 60 for dark rum. My mum loves it.
Allow bottle to settle, as I will go cloudy, and either syphon or carefully filter the solids out of the bottle. Not my recipe but can't remember where I got it.
If you don't want to make a huge batch of rum for a little dunder just ferment out a miniscule wash and then boil in a pot to get the dunder.

Mate I'm finishing another stripping run tonight, so I'll keep some of the dunder and give this a go just for shits and giggles thanks
Gavhancox

equipment: 50 lt keg with 2 elements and controller,
pot still and pure distilling reflux with 600mm extension

Postby googe » Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 am

I had this brain fart ages ago, so added 50ml of fancy molasses to 1L of neutral. In all, it sat for 18 months, I tasted it at 3 months, yucky, tasted like rotten neutral with sweetness, 6 months was ok, but smoother. Totally forgot about it and tasted it at 12 months, was completely different!, had some nice flavours, if I hadn't known better I'd think I was drinking coruba rum, don't know if you've tried it but they add molasses in the end product apparently. Anyway, tasted again at 15 months, not as nice, again at 18 months and tasted almost like it did at 3 months!, was confusing why it had gone shit again!. I had to move to nz then, so had to throw it out.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby J-boy » Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 pm

ekul wrote:just sub some molasses for sugar in your neutral. for every 2 kg of sugar you sub out of your recipe sub in 3L of molassess. You wont need anything for nutrients besides a little epsom either so dont worry about the tomato paste.

I have been wondering about this :text-thankyoublue: looks like I have found my next wash!
J-boy

equipment: Pure Distilling | Spirit Maker (LM) Reflux Still w/ Copper mesh

Return to Flavoring