Essential Oils

All flavoring discussions go here.

Essential Oils

Postby robduca » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Just wondering how many people use essential oils to flavour their neutrals?
Speaking to someone at the health food shop that I found some 100% Pure Aniseed Essential Oil, she advised me that they may not be safe to consume.
I have read that a few people are using them for their spirits, so are there different grades that are safe for consumption, or due to the small amount being used, the risk is minimal?
Specific brands to use? I am going to look into how to make them myself if they are safe.

Cheers
Rob
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Re: Essential Oils

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:42 pm

robduca wrote:Just wondering how many people use essential oils to flavour their neutrals?
Speaking to someone at the health food shop that I found some 100% Pure Aniseed Essential Oil, she advised me that they may not be safe to consume.
I have read that a few people are using them for their spirits, so are there different grades that are safe for consumption, or due to the small amount being used, the risk is minimal?
Specific brands to use? I am going to look into how to make them myself if they are safe.

Cheers
Rob

:laughing-rolling: just said the same thing to my wife last night. She has started buying essential oils, even frankincense and murr. Don't know about polluting my still with them though, pretty strong smells.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:46 pm

I didn't use essential oils, so it might be irrelevant, but I did use star anise, cloves and all the other herbs for ouzo once. Never again. Took 3 runs and a waste of 75L of UJSM to clean the licorice taste out of my boiler :angry-banghead:
...and I don't even like ouzo 8-}
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby robduca » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Yea if I do go down the track of making some, it will be in an old still I have that I never use now. One of the old Still Spirits ones. Would be about 12-14 years old I would say.
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Postby woodduck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:22 pm

CaptainRedBeard wrote:I didn't use essential oils, so it might be irrelevant, but I did use star anise, cloves and all the other herbs for ouzo once. Never again. Took 3 runs and a waste of 75L of UJSM to clean the licorice taste out of my boiler :angry-banghead:
...and I don't even like ouzo 8-}

:text-+1:

Been there done that. And I hate licorice too :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: my mate gets cordials now.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby googe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm

I've been making this for years rob, it's a good drop! viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9567. My missus is an aromatherapist so I have access to almost any essential oil on earth lol. Some oils can be used internally, but you need to know what your doing. The missus has always said, 100% natural plant based oils are the best, lots of commercial ones from supermarkets etc are petroleum based, not good. Best bet is how much they cost, my missus pays about $200 for 5ml of rose oil, yes 5ml :laughing-rolling: . Good oils arnt strong smelling like the store bought shit. If there's anything particular you'd want to know, I can ask her.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby robduca » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Yep I paid nowhere near that haha. This is the one I have got.

Cheers
Rob
robduca

Return to Flavoring