RC question

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

RC question

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Lads,
Putting a lot of thought into my bubbler build and have read lots of threads on tube size in the shotgun style RC. Most guys seem to go for either 1/2 or 3/8, just wondering if there would be any benefit to, or if anyone has gone with a greater number of 1/4 pipes, or am I just getting silly?

Just wondering if the extra surface area would cut down the transition time when changes are made to the cooling flow rate. Just curious and figured asking before trying might save me failing where others have failed before lol
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: RC question

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Not personally experienced in the construction of any drilling equipment, but my logic tells me the going for more surface area WILL improve knock-down power... but you’d have to weigh that up against the cost of the copper AND your skill in building it/time taken to build it.

I can’t see anything wrong with it, but I’d have to wonder why others haven’t done it yet...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby woodduck » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Are you talking rc or pc?

I think 1/4 would be too restrictive in either one especially an rc, it would slow the vapor speed too much. I used 3/4 in my rc and it works fine, it seems to be a common size. 1/2" in a pc is quite normal as well. My 2" 5x1/2" tube pc will knock down 6000w so I guess why change a proven design? In saying that there's nothing wrong with experimenting, all depends on why you want to do it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 pm

I think in an RC you want to have a tube size that will be larger than the size of a drop of the condensed liquid. The vapours rising up need to be able to make it passed (to some degree) the liquid coming down and I think 1/4" will get a bit messy. 1/2" I reckon is as small as you'll want to go seeing as it's cheaper than 3/8".
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby A&O » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Not to mention the insane number of holes to drill, then line up the large number of tubes, to finally solder heaps of joints. I’m practicing my soldering with 1/2” tubes, and when they are close together I’m really struggling.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby woodduck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 am

There's a video series I did on how to build a shotty pc in the site donors area if your struggling with it. Hit the donate button at the bottom of the page and you'll have access to them. Whether those videos are worth the money or not I'm not sure but supporting the forum that gives us all this info is I recon. I wouldn't know bugga all without this forum.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah I was just wondering. I had it arse about anyway, for some reason, I was thinking guys were using 3/8 but it’s 3/4 and and that’s working fine. My thinking was Moreno surface area and cheaper than 3/8. I can get heaps of 1/4 for bugger all. It would have been heaps of work and seeing as I had misread, there really is no point.
Thanks for all of your input as always guys. Great brains trust.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Return to Accessories