Copper Whiskey Helmet .. anyone got one? benefits?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Copper Whiskey Helmet .. anyone got one? benefits?

Postby Wraith71 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Ive been trying to look up the pro's and con's of those Whiskey Helmets ,but so far am drawing a blank ...
Besides looking nifty an impress your mates do they increase yield ? Abv ? flavour ?
Is there a size for volume or just one fits all ... ?
I shot off a few emails to sellers but so far nudda .. :angry-banghead:
They go all over in price too from a say $300 - to $8-900...
So anyone got one of these ?
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Re: Copper Whiskey Helmet .. anyone got one? benefits?

Postby Professor Green » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:13 pm

I think the idea is that the vapour slows down in the larger chamber and increases passive reflux.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:15 pm

I've never used one but I think the idea is that they are supposed to help stop a puke getting to the condenser on a pot still, or onto the plates of a plated column. Use enough head space in your boiler and you won't need it.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Wraith71 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Professor Green wrote:I think the idea is that the vapour slows down in the larger chamber and increases passive reflux.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Hi Prof ,
Yea that's the line I was thinking also ....I'm starting to think besides another place to hang a temp gauge .. its a bit like mag wheels for a still ..dosnt do much but looks good.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby RC Al » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Consider a thumper or bubble ball if you are chasing higher Abv from a pot
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby warramungas » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 am

I have a 4 foot length of dented 4" that's round at one end and well out of round at the other.
I've been meaning to turn it into a pot by hammering closed and sealing the dented end and soldering a 2" ferrule to the top and 4" to the bottom so I can attach my boiler and PC to it.
Should work the same as a copper helmet/onion head but as usual, uni has its thumb up my ar** and I'm critically time poor.
Warra
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby orcy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:57 am

I've been told that a helmet adds around 1/2 a plate of reflux to a pot still. Whether thata true or not, it will certainly help some vapour to condense and drop back to the boiler.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Wraith71 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm

warramungas wrote:I have a 4 foot length of dented 4" that's round at one end and well out of round at the other.
I've been meaning to turn it into a pot by hammering closed and sealing the dented end and soldering a 2" ferrule to the top and 4" to the bottom so I can attach my boiler and PC to it.
Should work the same as a copper helmet/onion head but as usual, uni has its thumb up my ar** and I'm critically time poor.
Warra

Hey Warra,
Ive got a few ideas also in that direction .. :-B I actually came across an old antique copper fire extinguisher that I've been meaning to re-purpose ( Coles your eyes and skip ahead if your faint.) its already got a 4in hole in one end and is fairly round so chop out the middle and it should be about the same as a few ive seen online.. but like I said there's no hard rules for how much metal and size..maybe a case of trial and error..
Wraith71

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Is the fire extinguisher soldered at the joins? Probably is lead solder if it is. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Wraith71 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Sam. wrote:Is the fire extinguisher soldered at the joins? Probably is lead solder if it is. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Nup .. Rivet and braised from what I can see .. they have a fair amount of pressure in them so I doubt just a solder job. The bottom and top rings are welded with solid copper , the top and bottom dome are welded and there's one seem that riveted ....soooo one way to find out .. I'l post some pic's when i'm working on it.
Wraith71

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Accessories