Fermenter/Boiler agitator?!?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Fermenter/Boiler agitator?!?

Postby EziTasting » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Just wondering what the go is with an electrical 'stirrer' or 'agitator'?

Seen a number in either FVs and even some boilers and I'm wondering of how much they affect, 1) fermentation? And 2) boiling?

I can understand that, in the boiler, it would 'mix' the heated wash with the ingested wash and thereby create more even heat-up (not sure if that has any effect) and I would suggest that it would reduce the 'burning' of the wash or components of say an all grain wash... but is that it? Is it worth it? Is. Let the only reason it's not in our hobby stills?!?

So, what then is the purpose of such an agitator in a Fermenter?
Likewise, I could postulate it keeps the fermenter contents well mixed thereby giving the yeast better access to ALL of the ingredients giving a better fermentation result?!?

Am I way off?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Re: Fermenter/Boiler agitator?!?

Postby bluc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm

No idea have seen them in mash tuns to stop scorching and get better efficency. No idea why they would use them in fermenters...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumsponge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:20 am

So, what then is the purpose of such an agitator in a Fermenter?
Likewise, I could postulate it keeps the fermenter contents well mixed thereby giving the yeast better access to ALL of the ingredients giving a better fermentation result?!?

thats it.
Agitation is quite important in aerobic fermentation (in the presence of oxygen) to facilitate gas exchange (CO2 out, O2 in). Not so important under anaerobic conditions (alcohol fermentation), but as you said, it will prevent the yeast from sedimenting and guarantees better access to ingredients.
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 am

In scotland in there large fermenters there is a rotor blade above the wash that "chops" the head back down.

Also on direct fire still they use a "rummager" (agitator) to stop scorching.

Neither of these are required at hobby level as we don't do 20,000L ferments and have the ability to charge our boiler with clear wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 am

Hah, one can only dream!

Ok, so no mythical benefit/explanation... I'm somewhat disappointed.

Thank you for your time.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Minpac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:30 am

An agitator in an FV may increase the amount of surface area of grain available , possibly increasing sugar/flavour access. You'd want to be sure it remains anaerobic, as some yeast strains shift to respiration instead of fermentation, and produce no alcohol. I think bakers yeast ferments anyway, but not sure on some of the fancier strains.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am

Fermentation causes a natural convection.

I can only see the benefit of an agitator in a mash tun :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kenster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 pm

In the simplest of liquids the is a phenomenon called Brownian Motion... this is where all the molecules in any given liquid continually collide with each other. This creates a perpetual motion in liquids. No liquid is totally 'motionless' even though we cant see it. So my suspicion is that in a wash situation, a lot of natural motion is doing its thing, and as Sam says, the impact of yeast, will contribute to further movement within as the dynamics of the internal environment changes.. I have no idea how this affects a real grain wash but think extra agitation may be overkill in a wash at our level. Agitation to prevent settlement and burn in a boiler...different story.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby rumsponge » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:35 pm

some yeast strains tend to flocculate more than others. I can see a benefit of an agitator in such cases (but cant prove it).
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Return to Accessories