Giant Ferrules

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Giant Ferrules

Postby northernbrewer » Thu May 04, 2017 12:06 am

Probably a wild goose chase or been looked at before, but is it possible to source keg sized ferrules and clamps? (16-1/8 inch) I can think of about a million uses for them, but nobody seems to have them. Closest alternative I can think of would be a bolted flange, but nowhere near as useful as a triclamp.

Northernbrewer
northernbrewer

equipment: 5 L Super Reflux Still - Copper Packing, separate condenser and reflux cooling circuits
Braumeister Clone (for the beer guys) and 2 tap fridge

Re: Giant Ferrules

Postby Flowerpot » Thu May 04, 2017 2:46 am

This sort of thing?
26bss3_1_5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Postby scythe » Thu May 04, 2017 6:16 am

The ferrule can me made whatever size you want, it will just be VERY expensive to machine, then you need to find seals and then its time to make a very expensive clamp.
Triclover ferrules go up to 12" i think, start pricing that up first before going larger.

Not sure about the mechanical properties of a clamp but the "pipe" would need to be very well supported and alignment between pieces needs to be prety spot on.

Bolted flanges are quite handy when it comes to correcting misalignment.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Fri May 05, 2017 10:48 am

I looked at 12" to adapt my thumper (cause it was 12") into a small short plated column but gave up on that idea without a gas turbine and a 10000 liter boiler to feed and power the thing. I was looking at a bit over $200 for a single set of 2 ferrules, clamp and a gasket. That would be $800+ for 4 plates which I would still have to make and didn't have that much dish at the time. Luckily something came up for me.
But
it would sure look cool!

Has anyone considered getting a boiler 'threaded'?
I.e. Get your keg top cut off and put a coarse male thread on one side and the female on the other and make the top screw on with maybe a bit of thread tap to seal it properly?
Problems I can see would be it getting stuck (hence the coarse thread to try prevent it), a fitter and turner/boily would need to get the keg in round and thread it on a lathe and even if the keg is thick enough to do it. Plus unless you know someone it would probably cost big bickies (probably less than making a 16" ferrule) due to the size of lathe to spin the keg. I'm not a metal worker just assuming you'd need a decent sized lathe. I've seen fine large threads like that on gear before just can't remember where. I remember it was a very fine thread and a pita to get started.

Probably easier and cheaper to get an open top drum.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby scythe » Fri May 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Would just be easier to use normal bolt flanges.
As a fitter machinist, threading a keg would be a nightmare, too thin and would vibrate snapping tips like no tomorrow.
That and its too thin to be able to machine a bit off so that the two screw together flush.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Accessories