IBC Water Recirculation Setup

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

IBC Water Recirculation Setup

Postby Amfamora » Fri May 05, 2017 5:25 pm

HI all,

Just thought would show my water recirculation setup I slapped together today, slapped you can tell from the precise PVC glue application. Pretty self explanatory setup.

Only dodgy thing is the IBC had been sitting on my property out in the weather for a while and the output valve was sun cracked and leaking, even when closed and capped. So I bit the bullet and cut the valve off only leaving the output pipe. Only thing I had handy to seal it was a blanking cap and having no thread on the pipe anymore, covered that sucker in hot glue and jammed it in the pipe backwards. Its in there solid and no leaks at all.

Only have about 100 litres of water in the IBC now for testing and the system works flawlessly, Ill see how the hot glue holds up with the weight of 1000 litres behind it. Probably be a good idea to get a rubber sleeve of some kind and hoseclamp that over the top.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to ensure the bottom outlet will remain leak free and solid please share.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amfamora

equipment: T500 Pot and Reflux :/
50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Re: IBC Water Recirculation Setup

Postby bluc » Fri May 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Looks good not sure how long hot glue will hold..maybe as you say a rubber sleeve and hose clamps.. :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby coffe addict » Fri May 05, 2017 7:46 pm

:text-+1: on radiator hose and a cpl clamps and it'll be good for many years.
Sun makes the plastic of an ibc very brittle so be gentle with it if it's been in the sun.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby hillzabilly » Fri May 05, 2017 8:18 pm

If it works it does not have ta be pretty. Maybe a small dose of that expanding foam (or silicone )from the inside and a few layers of gaffa tape on the outside.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Amfamora » Fri May 05, 2017 8:59 pm

I have a small kid I could push through the hole with a can of expanding foam. Be entertaining watching him get himself out :))
Amfamora

50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Postby scythe » Sat May 06, 2017 7:51 am

No need for expanding foam just the silicone will be fine.
And the hole in the top can be made bigger to facilitate easier small child retrieval.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Nice.

Single IBC or a double?
Whats the thought on the 2 valves to, what looks to me to be, a single pipe line?

I live in a place where summer time temps are very high 40*C + for 8 months, so an effective cooling system is needed! At this stage I can't make up my mind if I should go down this path (2 IBCs take water from receiving rank @ bottom to filling IBC 2 at top, then draw cooled water out of bottom of IBC2 to cool still) or the use of an AC unit (radiator & fan only) but perhaps I will need to combine the 2... :think:

Good share!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TheMechwarrior » Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Single IBC is fine for up to a 100L run, running every second day depending on your environmental temps. Allowing a day or so for it to cool off is best, if you can fit a radiator into your return line you'll be laughing.

I've managed back to back runs (on the same day) but the distillate was getting a little warm for my liking. So I started the ball rolling on a dual IBC system before I moved my site.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Should throw up some pics, Mech.
Being in Tassie, your hottest summer will be more like our autum/winter BUT a good design is still worth the effort
EziTasting

Postby Amfamora » Mon May 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi Ezi,

The valve on the outlet is probably not necessary, but I had it laying around and if I was to have a leak of something go wrong I can either shut that off or turn off the power. I thought why not if I have it :)

Cheers
Amfamora

50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Mon May 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Amfamora wrote:Hi Ezi,

The valve on the outlet is probably not necessary, but I had it laying around and if I was to have a leak of something go wrong I can either shut that off or turn off the power. I thought why not if I have it :)

Cheers

Nice.
EziTasting

Return to Accessories