Flow Meter

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Flow Meter

Postby TasSpirits » Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 pm

I am looking at incorporating a flow meter or 2 into my setup, does anyone have any recommendations?, I'm thinking digital with temp sensors. :think:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: Flow Meter

Postby bluc » Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 pm

They sound cool let us know what you end up with :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby maddogpearse » Wed May 17, 2017 11:03 am

I use a cheep eBay pump for my cooling water. It recirculates water through my still and back into my beer kettle which is a 50l keg. I then run mains water through my immersion chiller to keep recirc water at about 25 degrees. Cooling my cooling water with other water. Sounds stupid I know but it gives me consistent flow and consistent temperature. It's nothing flash, just utilising my beer brewing gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby TasSpirits » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

maddogpearse wrote:I use a cheep eBay pump for my cooling water. It recirculates water through my still and back into my beer kettle which is a 50l keg. I then run mains water through my immersion chiller to keep recirc water at about 25 degrees. Cooling my cooling water with other water. Sounds stupid I know but it gives me consistent flow and consistent temperature. It's nothing flash, just utilising my beer brewing gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im using a pond pump and IBC, last nights run was all over the shop, water is getting too cold, after a 4hr run the water was 5'. Trying to get the water right to the RC was a PITA, figure a flow meter will give me a better idea of where it needs to be at different times of year, plus I get to add some more bits to the still. :think:
TasSpirits

Postby Dogfish » Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Have a look at this Gardena Product. Flow meter and flow count. http://www.gardena.com/au/water-management/hose-connectors/water-smart-flow-meter/
About $50 off ebay.

I been thinking of doing an adruino or Raspberry Pi one similar to this:
https://www.freetronics.com.au/pages/jaycar-water-flow-gauge
Dogfish

equipment: 2" VM Still. 1.5 meter column with 3/4" take off. Keg boiler.

Postby TasSpirits » Wed May 17, 2017 8:41 pm

The jaycar one looks good, I'm going to go for something I can mount on the column, maybe battery powered, I just want flow rate and temp if its not to hard to wire up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Kenster » Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Tas, pardon my genuine ignorance. Isnt it better to have (very) cold water running as it will assist the condensation/capture of vapour more efficiently. I dont understand your problem.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby bluc » Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Within reason i dont think it matters what temp cooling water is. But changing water temps (different months/seasons) means different adjustments on rc. Flow meters and thermometers mean can easily take notes and dial things in quickly, no matter temp or season..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Thu May 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Kenster wrote:Tas, pardon my genuine ignorance. Isnt it better to have (very) cold water running as it will assist the condensation/capture of vapour more efficiently. I dont understand your problem.

I seem to be getting full reflux with a tiny dribble, then struggling to adjust without losing reflux, I used to use a 200L drum in the shed and that worked fine all year. The IBC is outside and plumbed through the shed wall, I swapped out my gate valve for needle valve anticipating this problem, that has not been sufficient. time to get a bit more tech and make things a bit easier. By the way my ambient temp is 7' now and my cooling water is sitting at 3' it doesn't get any sun during winter, also is encased in thin steel.:handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Kenster » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 pm

thanks guys, guess i just havent had that prob myself and now get what u r trying to achieve...better control. Good luck.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Accessories