What torch to start out with...

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

What torch to start out with...

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Been tossing up what torch to buy for a while to start playing around with scrap and solder. I can see myself being drawn to heavier gauge plate and 6" at the end of the tunnel, so I would rather get something that will do everything from small to big. I have taken the advice of a couple of the highly experienced DIY fellas and ordering a torch from the Sievert pro range :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm guessing after a lot of burns and solder blobs on my hands and feet I will get the hang of it lol
Practice practice practice
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: What torch to start out with...

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Do you want to use hard or soft solder?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Might want to go bigger, like a oxy set, I looked at the 86, but my brother in law reckons not enough grunt, even the 88 is probably not up to the heavy gauge stuff unless you are soft soldering. He works with heavy gauge copper a fair bit, this is what he recommended for me when I'm ready to go bigger:

BOC MasterStart LPG Cutting & Brazing Kit Part Number : 105009
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Lowie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 pm

depends on how fat your wallet is champ :teasing-tease:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby scythe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:59 am

I would go for the oxy lpg kit if i was looking to work with 6" and thick copper
You will be there for ages trying to hard solder with anything less.
Even soft soldering will take a while to get it up to temp with a standard torch.

LPG is cheap compared to acetylene, and you can buy your own oxy bottle so you dont pay rent on bottles.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:15 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Do you want to use hard or soft solder?

Want to learn a bit of both... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:20 am

TasSpirits wrote:Might want to go bigger, like a oxy set, I looked at the 86, but my brother in law reckons not enough grunt, even the 88 is probably not up to the heavy gauge stuff unless you are soft soldering. He works with heavy gauge copper a fair bit, this is what he recommended for me when I'm ready to go bigger:

Will check them out, this hobby is very addictive and can see myself setting in for the long haul so I don't mind spending a bit of dough.
I see all to often with the experienced fellas there is never just one build, there will be more :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 pm

The big green store sells gas bottes you buy and in a few years when finished you get your money back
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:54 pm

A lot of garage sales has hoses and gauges cheep last set I got $20.00
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:The big green store sells gas bottes you buy and in a few years when finished you get your money back

Cheers buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Might want to go bigger, like a oxy set, I looked at the 86, but my brother in law reckons not enough grunt, even the 88 is probably not up to the heavy gauge stuff unless you are soft soldering. He works with heavy gauge copper a fair bit, this is what he recommended for me when I'm ready to go bigger:

I think your totally right mate in what you say, I checked out one of these kits and they come with everything that way one purchase and your set for everything. I know $429 bucks is more expensive than the one I suggested but would be well worth it in the long run. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Im going to have a play with some 4mm plate and a oxy set tomorrow, Im planning the next build, the inlaw has no time to help, but is letting me play with some of his workshop gear so I can start to get a feel for it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby orcy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm

I was looking at a TS8000, but then came across this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BERNZOMATIC- ... 3d1099a421

has anyone used one? probably cheaper on amazon, but this is the first place I saw it. i'm certainly gonna be building a 4 inch bubbler, so I want to be able to hard solder some easy flanges. worried the TS8000 might struggle on the grunt side of the world.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Problem with little oxy/acetaleyene sets they burn through the small bottles fast. I have read a few members use a lpg bottle (9kg) and an oxy bottle, and
aparently an oxy bottle can be bought from bunnings and the bottle price refunded or the bottle exchanged once empty. Used with an oxy cutting torch provides plenty heat to hard solder 4" + :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby orcy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 pm

ok, so i'd need to invest in adaptors and bigger bottles once I run out of the littlies. i'm not planning on needing full on cutting capacity, so the BOC kit, although pretty, seems a bit rough at 400 bucks.

maybe i'll grab one and see how it goes.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Don't get me wrong oxy is the best of the best but if you are after a cheap alternative and you only want to soft solder try one of these lpg torches. It’s all I've used for my builds and it will soft solder 4" no prob and will hard solder 1/4" for easy flanges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby coffe addict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 am

I have tradeflame pro torch similar to wooduck but bigger head and more heat, it hard solders 4in no worries. You can swap the head for a smaller one when soft soldering. Lpq is cheap compared to acetylene :handgestures-thumbupleft:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Return to Accessories