Determining the tube size PC to collection jars.

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Determining the tube size PC to collection jars.

Postby danwbrews » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Is there a formula to determine the tubing size between the Product Condenser and your collection jars? I never thought about it until I discovered I had used most of my 12mm tubing and already built a 2" to 12mm reducer and only had short lengths left. I have 12mm to 10 mm reducers and 10mm tubing.

I will be using my condenser in both 2" Pot and Reflux modes. I have a 2" Shotgun 500mm long with 4 X 12mm tubes inside.

I've read a ton of stuff over the past few days and haven't seen anything except for the speed of output. Drips and pencil thin streams and so many MLs per minute.
I know someone out there has seen something or a majority of you use a certain size output tubing. Is there a reason?

Maybe I'm just over thinking. I read something about syphoning or change in vapor pressure and it could be caused by a vacuum caused by to much restriction at or after the condenser.

I need some advice please.

Dan
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Re: Determining the tube size PC to collection jars.

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Personally output tube no smaller than the 12mm, 6mm would definitely cause flow issues I reckon, but 10mm should be OK.

12mm is spot on, but you need to remember to put some sort of breather after the PC but before the exit point of the product. Mine is here and there are many different designs, try searching 'breather' and see how you go.

Chocko.

Note: I've since reconfigured my parrot but the breather is the same, just a simple elbow on a piece of tube open to atmosphere.
stack 07_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chocko6969 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby danwbrews » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks Chocko. Nice rig.
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Postby woodduck » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 am

Yep.I personally wouldn't go smaller than 1/2" either.

The breather is only needed if your going to have you parrot attached :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby danwbrews » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 am

woodduck wrote:Yep.I personally wouldn't go smaller than 1/2" either.

The breather is only needed if your going to have you parrot attached :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Woodduck. I was about to ask that question after reading the many posts suggested by Chocko . Almost all talked about parrots.
I will not be using a parrot at this time. I have read too much about smearing and think I will just sample (P&T) the tight cuts and use my senses to start with.

I will just build different take off tubes for when I use my shotty with my reflux and pot builds. I will probably have enough 2" to make another 2" to 12mm reducer.
It was kind of fun to see it come together. The more parts I build the better I get.

Thanks for all the wisdom. This forum and it's users are great.

Dan
danwbrews

Postby db1979 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:28 am

10mm will be fine, 6mm will definitely be a bad choice. From experience.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Accessories